interactive acrylics

Discuss and recommend materials and suppliers

Postinteractive acrylics

by matthewormston » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:46 pm

Has anybody used or have experience of 'interactive acrylics'?
I like what i have read about them,not drying to quick and with a spray of water they remain workable allowing blending etc.
matthewormston
Junior Forum Member

PostRe: interactive acrylics

by matthewormston » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:40 am

Ok just some feedback on these paints.
I bought a selection along with the slow mediums etc and for the past week i have been experimenting with them.
They certainly do stay wet for ages if you spray them with the slow medium and the colours are clean but they dont like paper (w&n galleria paper or primed watercolour paper) they dry patchy leaving undesirable marks which spoils the painting,they are not to bad on a canvas panel but the paint really does have to be applied thickly.
I do think they are worth a look though and will continue using them,maybe i have to adapt my style,brushwork to suit the paints.
matthewormston
Junior Forum Member

by jennifervs » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:45 am

Hi, I'm Jennifer, the US Resident Artist for Chroma. Regarding Interactive on paper, you may want to try sealing the paper with Binder Medium. This will help prevent the paper from wicking all the moisture out of paint, and can provide a much more satisfactory painting experience. But lots of artists are using Interactive successfully on paper... On Chroma's website, there is a video with artist Keith Norris working on paper http://www.chromaonline.com/chroma/medi ... multimedia
There is also a video featuring Barry Sholder working with Interactive in a watercolor style at http://www.veoh.com/search/videos/q/int ... 25fx4yPDek

Check out Chroma's website at http://www.chromaonline.com for more info, tips and techniques on Interactive, or post your questions here!
jennifervs
Forum Newbie

by traceyletchford » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi Jennifer, I recently bought some of these paints and I am quite pleased with the results. However they do tend to stay quite rubbery on the canvas even after two weeks. They are not wet but they dont go hard like most other acrylics I choose to use. Is this normal or will they eventually go harder???
Regards
Tracey :)
traceyletchford
Forum Newbie

by jennifervs » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:23 pm

Glad you are liking Interactive! It cures over time, so it will gradually form that tough skin. It usually takes about 2 weeks to cure, longer if you are painting more impasto.
jennifervs
Forum Newbie

by traceyletchford » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:12 pm

Thanks for the info, at least now I know I will have to leave them to stand for a while before framing and selling (hopefully)

Tracey :D
traceyletchford
Forum Newbie

by Lorniaj » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:23 pm

I have personally been working this this brand for a year or so now and yes they are a little different from any other artist acrylic that I have used. But for the type of paintings I tend to do. You cannot beat the flow and ease of the acrylic. I used to often wonder why I bothered to work with acrylic, as I cannot stand the fact that they just don't move around the canvas. I often used to think "why not just use oil paint". But I cannot bring my self to wait for the oils to dry. I prefer to get my paintings done and dusted in a matter of weeks, Not months!

Then I discovered Chroma Interactive Acrylic.

I personally think that it is great! You can keep it wet and re work back in to it. Honestly I would give it a try. The price of the paint I would say doesn't differ too much from any other leading brand of artist quality acrylic, however they do come in quite large tubes, however the website I got them from I believe I found them at a rather good price.

www.artyfect.com

So to anyone thinking of trying this Acrylic, I really would! maybe different styles of artists may get on with this paint better than others, but I wouldn't use any other acrylic again. FANTASTIC!
Lorniaj

by wendypuerto » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:26 pm

Interesting insight to interactive acrylics, like you I cant be assed to wait for oils to dry, I might have a play around with the interactives when things calm down a bit.
wendypuerto
Power User

by brianpetrie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:00 am

I use the interactive acrylics a lot now, but not in the way they were intended.

I don't tend to blend paints, I use them dry, no water etc. But the Artelier (if that's how you spell it) range have some great colours you don't get with Liquitex/WN etc.

Also, they're quite thick. In fact damned good paints !!!
brianpetrie
Forum Member