frames

Discuss and recommend materials and suppliers

Postframes

by brianpetrie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:25 pm

Does anyone one on here actually get their work framed or is it all "deep edge box canvas stuff" ?
I prefer my work framed and tend to use local framers but they can be a bit pricey.
Has anyone bought ready made frames online and if so are they any good ?
brianpetrie
Forum Member

PostRe: frames

by eliseferguson » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:04 pm

Brian,

My acrylic paintings are nearly all on paper or board and I only frame them when I want to exhibit. I've used a local framer in the past and also found it very expensive - fine if you know the picture is going to sell but otherwise a big cost.

I've used http://www.picture-frames-direct.co.uk/, the only problem was I found it very hard to judge how the mouldings would look. So when the frames arrived they were fine but I wasn't 100% sure they matched the pictures! My fault not theirs, if you were sure what frame you wanted you'd probably be OK.

To try to get round that problem, I contacted a mail order framer I saw advertised in the last SAA magazine - Frame Warehouse (01392 494080). They will send you their complete range of mouldings and mounts as offcut samples for only £8, I've got the samples and they look good but haven't used them yet. Their prices seem very reasonable - the worst thing about mail order frames is they all seem to charge a flat rate P&P so if you only want one or two frames it makes them a lot more expensive.

Elise
eliseferguson
Forum Member

by jeanniezelos » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:27 am

I've used local framers but as elsie says - it can be very expensive. I've also bout mounts via ebay and some batch frames from http://www.4x90.com for works that i remeber to piant to a4 size :) mostly pastels cos they are difficult to store. I've also bought some larger frames from them for canvasboard. i tend only to frame works i like or that are going in exhibition as its expensive - i also paint on canvas, paper wood etc and find watercolour, wax, oils and acrylics fine to store without framing which is good cos I'd be totally broke and unable to afford to paint otherwise. I'm always amazed at the difference the right frame can make too - really set a work off.

I've used a member of my artsforum in the past, and so have other members. I emailed him images of my work and its size and he created a mockup image of what frame he thought would look good and sent it to me with instructions for how to put the work in ( it was a heavy wax textured work on card and was float mounted)
http://www.framingmad.co.uk/index.html
this is the work he framed - I'd no idea what to do with it - as usual, once its painted i reckon thats my part done :D
http://www.jeanniezelosart.co.uk/Abstra ... romer.html
jeanniezelos
Power User

by jackpurvis » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:04 pm

Hello
This subject has come up before. All my paintings are framed not that it makes much difference cos nothings selling.
For my canvases my preference is for heavy, possibly 3inch wide mouldings ornate if possible. To have them made to order was far too expensive. So I went to my framers and asked him what he did with his offcuts. Chuck em he replied. So I said make some frames out of those offcuts and sell them to me at cost. He did and I now have quite a lot of frames which didn't cost the earth. Mainly they have a picture opening of 14 x 10 inches. The only thing is that I now work backwards the frame determining the size of the painting.
8) Jack
jackpurvis
Forum Member

by dennisspicer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:02 pm

On the subject of frames I can only recommend jackson's http://www.jacksonart.co.uk . They have a variety of mouldings that you buy as a pair according to the size of your painting: so you would need two pairs for a finished job. They have a nifty way of securing the frame together which is easy as pie and they are inexpensive. All you do is stain them yourself. Check them out. I think that a good frame enhances a picture, there is an old adage A good picture deserves a frame, a bad picture needs one!
Re.box canvases, I think that box canvases now look a bit naff, they look like cheap things you find in a pound store for people who just want to stick a cheap picture on the wall and forget it.That's my opinion anyway.
dennisspicer
Forum Member

by brianpetrie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:24 pm

I agree Dennis, I've tried a few unframed box jobs but they do look like something from Ikea or the like, though there is a market for them....at the moment anyway.
I've just taken delivery of the very said frames from Jackson's and you're right they are nice and easy to put together. my only problem is getting a wide enough moulding as I tend not to use mounts so I need something 60mm minimum. I must be a bloody awkward customer !
maybe the answer is to by a guillotine and cut the mouldings myself...along with the odd finger or two.
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:26 pm

Framing is sometimes best left to the buyer unless of course it is for an exhibition.
That way they can personalise to suit themselves,and it keeps cost down when sending overseas.

Denis some work doesn't suit a frame especially modern works.

My local market has stall with a framer attached where you can choose from a selection of frames and he will do it for you in a few days.
wendypuerto
Power User

by brianpetrie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:03 pm

Actually Wendy I think all paintings suit a frame. The correct frame for the painting that is, though I agree some can stand being unframed. And I was fully expecting you to defend the unframed corner. Well done.
It's just a matter of taste I suppose. What I really hate to see are paintings carried on round the canvas. Not so much if they are just carrying round a flat colour but I've seen houses painted round the sides !!! AAAAARRRRGGGHHH

But each to their own
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:17 pm

Brian, I like both framed and unframed,someof those gigantic Abstracts would be ruined by framing them.I think it is a waste to choose a frame for someone else only for them to remove it and replace it with their own choice,you may love a painting but the frame will not sit well where you choose to hang it,so what do you do?
wendypuerto
Power User

by brianpetrie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:36 pm

I think the frame should be chosen to suit the painting, not the wallpaper. You get nice box type frames that edge a canvas well without adding any width. Not sure what they're called, but I quite like the look of them.
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:43 pm

You are not a Woman :wink: That would just not do!! :lol: :lol: It has to do both :D
wendypuerto
Power User

by dennisspicer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:03 pm

Very good Wendy! I'm glad you said that and not me! I think whether to use a frame or not depends on the intention. If your primary aim is to sell on the internet, then it perhaps is not a good idea to frame, however if you are exhibiting in a gallery for instance, the buyer is buying the whole package, frame and all so it should be chosen thoughtfully to enhance the painting. Unframed pictures in a gallery just look sloppy, in my opinion. However some modern works especially big ones do look OK without a frame (although only OK). I fully agree with painting around the sides. You can buy the frames I think you mean Brian, from Jackson's. They are deep set for box frames and do not obscure any of the painting, but leave a gap of about 1/8 th of an inch between the frame and the edge of the picture. Very good for modern works done on box canvases, if you must!
dennisspicer
Forum Member

by eliseferguson » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:44 pm

I'm really intrigued as to why the idea of painting canvases round the edges is so obnoxious - I've always felt leaving a canvas edge unpainted looks incredibly unfinished and untidy. If the buyer wants to frame it, it doesn't matter if it's painted or not and at least painting the edges gives them the choice. So why is it so terrible?

Elise
eliseferguson
Forum Member

by josheppard » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:05 am

I hardly ever frame paintings simply because I can't afford too. With the majority of them being on the larger side, it would be an expensive business. Because I can't afford to frame them, I work on box canvas :lol: as I think they look better unframed than the narrow ones.

So here is another bugbare of mine... I paint my edges white for exhibitions because it is expected of me. I dont like doing it. I think messy edges show the life of the painting. I think I may be in the minority here listening to what others say and I have in the past asked folks buying a messy edged painting if they wanted me to paint them white and they've always said yes.

I like to think that in a perfect world if a buyer didn't like messy edges, they'd pay to have it framed but this obviously is too much of a presumption. When I've visited more exclusive galleries, Ive frequently seen contemporary works unframed with messy edges- so if its not naff or sloppy for them, why should it be so unacceptable a lower lever?
Jo
josheppard
Forum Member

by waterboy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:26 am

I know its not quite the same because most of my work is done in soft pastels. However, I tend to get mounts with backing cards made for my larger works 30cm X 30cm + in ivory and only frame stuff if its going to be hung - which isn't anything at all for the present. The mounts a set off the works for photographing and protect them from contact damage.I have not used on-line framers yet. However, I have bought clip frames on line one came with broken glass and the neither of them had wires on the back - had to do that my self. In past years I used to go to a shop on Chester where they sold hundereds of different sized frames in all sorts of shape colour and finish - very economic, I used to get three or four done at the time.
waterboy
Junior Forum Member