frames

Discuss and recommend materials and suppliers

PostRe: frames

by jeanniezelos » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:33 am

Jo - I feel the same as you about tidying the edges - i like to see the "history" of the evelution of the works and that shows on the edges. but buyers seem to want tidy edges. i used to paint white but now tend to paint in a colour to suit the work. When i do purley encaustic works i leave all the wax drips - there's a base coat painted on and i think the bits of colur that have gone over are part of the paintings. still - I've never sold any of those yet :cry: :D
jeanniezelos
Power User

by wendypuerto » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:55 am

I always paint the edges whether it be the same colour as the Painting or white if a light works or black gesso gor a dark it tidies them perfectly well.

The recent exhibition at the Regents Park gallery looks impressive with the framed and unframed works hanging, very proffessional.Go take a look Dennis :)
Framing is as personal as choosing the Painting.
wendypuerto
Power User

by dennisspicer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:01 pm

Ther is nothing wrong with messy edges josh - like you I think they show the life of the painting and if an artwork had integrity without the frame ,so be it. Painting around the edges just seems gimmicky to me, Elise, if you see one person doing it, it looks kooky and quaint, but when it becomes a style, well , I don't know.
I suppose it depends as I said earlier on why you are painting. If you are supplying interior decoration over the internet and you know your customers, then do whatever sells. If your art is a personal statement about your beliefs about art, life, or whatever,you want people to buy it because they feel a connection with the art, so you want to keep as much as possible under your control, including the frame, to express most exactly what you want.
dennisspicer
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:59 pm

Galleries usually insist on the sides being tidied up.
The Painting should not need a frame to make it look better it should look good before it goes into the Frame.
wendypuerto
Power User

by eliseferguson » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:15 am

Wow dennis what an outpouring! I really don't get that, how on earth can a frame (bits of wood which are usually created by someone other than the Artist) be part of a personal expression of art? Surely that's the painting bit? And why does something which doesn't appeal to you personally have to be "gimmicky"?

We've had this discussion before, I don't see why we can't agree to differ without being disparaging about the way that other people work. I'm not being defensive here either, I'd say less than 10% of my work is on canvas and only half of that is with those gimmicky finished edges (which incidentally have attracted more positive than negative comments from buyers in the flesh, as opposed to internet hoi polloi)

Anyway Brian should be happy he's stirred us all up a bit he hates being bored.

Elise
eliseferguson
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:05 am

Thank you Elise! That is exactly my sentiment.
I was holding back a bit :lol: :lol: :lol:
People now want a choice, and both framed and unframed are collectable and worthy to be good art.Wheter sold on the internet through a gallery or at an exhibition,which most of us do,have you considered maybe they don't buy over the net because the work is framed?
Quite a bit of your work Denis would sit much better unframed.
wendypuerto
Power User

by jeanniezelos » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:12 am

works i have that need framing but aren't i do offer the option to have it framed for addiontional cost but of course that pushes not only the price but the postage costs up and there's the danger of damage if its glazed.

if you are going to frame though - well i've read alot of people that say they go to boot sales and charity shops and pick ip pics cheap and simply use the frame - but do ensure that the frame is of a good enough quality. all i've ever seen at these places - not that i've looked specifially - is old cheap and damaged frames and one thats coming apart at the sides or badly made isn't going to enhance any artwork but just pay lipservice to the idea of framing, for framings sake.

Dennis, I can see how a frame can be part of the work in the same way as the edges are for me but personally I simply can't deal with the framing. I did once think about buying framing equip because framimg is expensive but a trial run decided me that i could not produce a frame ( or even a mount :oops: ) to a standard that satisfies me...and when it comes to colour, width depth etc i'm lost. I suppose if i thought about it BEFORE I started a work maybe it'd come together as a whole ? I don't know...might try one day :D and surprise myself..
jeanniezelos
Power User

by brianpetrie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:14 am

Thank you everyone....I had a less boring weekend than normal !
But back to my original point...where can I buy decent frames or mouldings online ?
I've actually ended up buying a pro mitre saw and an under pinner so I can now frame my own paintings ( or yours Wendy if you want ).
I'll do the usual google search for moulding suppliers, but if anyone uses a supplier and is happy with them I'd be happy to know.
I'm also happy to give customers a choice too Wendy.
from now on I'll paint the edge of my canvas, then frame it so the customer can remove the frame and sell it at a car boot sale and everyone's happy !

But again, a nice debate for once, and one that separates the men from the lasses !!!
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:24 am

Glad to have livened up the weekend Brian :lol: It has been a little dull on the forum,it shows we are all passionate about our work.
If you are able to do the framing yourself it has to be a winner,thank you for your offer but somehow sending work back and forward would cetainly defeat the object. :lol:
wendypuerto
Power User

by jackpurvis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:07 pm

So far as the painting of edges is concerned I always do. Either a sympathetic colour on the narrow frames, or colour or a continuation of the painting on the deep box edges. I have a good reason to do so. Couple of years ago a purchaser brought one of my paintings back, for, through either cleaning or wiping she had left a dirty mark on the side which on that occasion had been left unpainted. The white canvas side can attract marks.
I did explain to her that until it was varnished best not to wipe, especially with a damp cloth. :roll:
Jack
jackpurvis
Forum Member

by eliseferguson » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:03 pm

Hey Brian, we do enjoy a good round of virtual sparring from time to time, don't we?! But there were a few serious suggestions for online framers back at the start before the debate started, not sure how many will supply 60mm wide moulding though. Sounds like the DIY solution is worth pursuing - will you go on a framing course or just teach yourself? I cut all my own mounts now but I don't really want to invest in the hardware needed for framing, not yet anyway. The Jackson's frames sound like a good compromise.

Elise
eliseferguson
Forum Member

by dennisspicer » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:34 pm

I had a long answer prepared and then thought "blow it why bother, this is getting into angels dancing on the head of a pin territory, so I scrapped it.
dennisspicer
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:53 pm

No it's about you putting other artists work down, and inflating your own as more worthy.so I am glad you thought better of it.
wendypuerto
Power User

by brianpetrie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:55 pm

Hey, no arguing on my thread !
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by dennisspicer » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:16 pm

We'll argue if we want to!I put nobody's work down. Where did I do so? I just said what I believe to be true in general terms and if anyone applies it to their own work, well, it's their business. Nowhere did I even mention my own work Wendy.And as for your advice about frames on my work (who is now putting another artists work down?) I will waste no time in considering it.
dennisspicer
Forum Member