frames

Discuss and recommend materials and suppliers

PostRe: frames

by wendypuerto » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:33 am

I don't know.
I suppose it depends as I said earlier on why you are painting. If you are supplying interior decoration over the internet and you know your customers, then do whatever sells. If your art is a personal statement about your beliefs about art, life, or whatever,you want people to buy it because they feel a connection with the art, so you want to keep as much as possible under your control, including the frame, to express most exactly what you want.

It may be hidden with fancy words but it is as clear as day to me.How you feel about your work as opposed to everyone elses.

I was not putting your work down merely suggesting the modern work as in your Gallery one would look really good unframed.
wendypuerto
Power User

by davidraison » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:37 am

I've just received a frame from eFrame.co.uk. It's well made and I was very pleased with the service. I'd normally make frames myself but there was a time constraint that I couldn't meet for this one.

Re the discussion about whether you need to paint the edges of a picture. I have started to paint the edges on some pictures but will often just paint in a suitable colour (often this is white!) so that the inevitable stray marks are covered.

David
davidraison
Forum Member

by jopoole » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:54 pm

I sense this topic has touched a nerve!
I have done many portrait commissions in my time, which are in delicate pastel, so I need to frame them myself. Local framers have always been my choice, as they have a far wider choice of mounts & they know what they're doing if you're stuck with your final decision. Pricey I know.
I too have used 'e-frame' online which have a great range of frames at a good price, & a great service. However, they only supply perspex glazing, not glass, which I hate!

I also paint in oils on canvas, and most of my work is commission based. Most (if not all) of my customers request for the picture to continue on the edges!
I'm hearing you cringe!!
jopoole
Forum Newbie

by brianpetrie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:17 pm

Canvas can be framed too !!! But I'm sure you know that.
The reason for this thread was purely a request for any decent online frame suppliers as every spring I need to put around 30-40 paintings into galleries for the summer. last year my frames averaged £50 a time (£1500 plus before I begin to sell) so I'm looking to cut my costs, but NOT by supplying them unframed. My work is up against some of Scotland's top selling artists (Pam Carter, Jim Wylie, Ed Hunter, Francis Boag etc) who all supply their work framed and the galleries look superb each time I visit.
Since the thread started I've bought enough equipment to frame most myself, all I need now is the skill to cut a neat corner !

So thanks everyone for their input
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:32 pm

When it is reqired I frame in a simple frame or if a print just have it professionally mounted in an Ivory double mount.You go with what is needed depending on what is reqired and where you are exhibiting.
I did have an American buyer of a deep Box Canvas and it was her own suggestion that she framed it herself to keep the weight down for shipping, so you have to play it by Ear on each occasion.
wendypuerto
Power User

by brianpetrie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Wendy (and anyone else) here's link to a great Scottish artist who you've probably never come across

http://jimwylie-artist.co.uk/

Hope you all like his work, in real life they look stunning
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:14 pm

Thank you Brian he has some lovely works,you know we were disussing copyright issues,I have never seen this artists work before yet his St Ninians bay has a loose reemblence of one of my piece called Summer Solstace,so sometimes it can happen unintetionally.
wendypuerto
Power User

by brianpetrie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:26 pm

I'd never actually seen your Summer Solstace but there is a resemblance, though I don't think Jim Wylie will be concerned
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:59 pm

Exactly :)
wendypuerto
Power User

by helennock » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:05 pm

Thanks for link. I'm drooling now!
helennock
Power User

by jeanniezelos » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:56 am

gosh - he's some stunning pieces. :)
saw an artists i meant to look up in this month The Artist - incredible landscapes,almost photographic but with that magic touch that defines a realy good artwork. sarah gillespie - i'll see if i can find a link..
http://www.sarahgillespie.co.uk/paintings.html
standing tears 2 is fantastic
jeanniezelos
Power User

by helennock » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:59 am

Beautiful work by Anna, Jeannie. Well spotted. Love her web presentation too.
helennock
Power User

by wendypuerto » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:47 am

Outstanding! just gorgeous :)
wendypuerto
Power User

by korzerrobinson » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:38 pm

To get back to the original subject. Here is a great framing service that i have found

http://www.3dframing.co.uk/

They specialize in Box framing and deep rebate, which is what i need for my work. However they make all kinds of frames. I have ordered from them a lot.

They deliver quickly and the work has always been impeccable. Don't be put off by the homemade look of the website. The frames i have received were top-notch gallery quality frames.

Nowhere else have i found prices yet that beat theirs.

Alex
korzerrobinson
Junior Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:11 am

Thanks for the link.I already have seen something personal I have been looking for for ages :)
wendypuerto
Power User