best medium for under sketching?

Discuss and recommend materials and suppliers

Postbest medium for under sketching?

by waterboy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:38 am

Despite more than a few years of painting I never done a lot of Acrylics. However, one problem I have not resolved is a suitable pencil or pen to do my initial drawing on the canvas that the Acrlics will not disolve yet will paint over without resistance - suggestions please.

Regards: Chris :?: :?
waterboy
Junior Forum Member

PostRe: best medium for under sketching?

by eliseferguson » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:00 am

Hi Chris

Acrylic is the main medium I use and I always use a normal graphite pencil, usually B or sometimes HB to sketch. I've never had any problem with the paint dissolving the pencil marks as I aim to cover the sketch completely. If you're working on canvas with a rough grain, that can make the pencil sketching awkward in which case another coat of primer is usually all that's needed.
Elise
eliseferguson
Forum Member

by waterboy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:08 pm

Thank you for that. I have lots of B range pencils 2 to 7 which I will try.

Regards:Chris :D
waterboy
Junior Forum Member

by dennisspicer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:09 pm

The tried and tested method is to do the initial drawing with charcoal and then lightly brush off the dust with a soft cloth so you are left with a faint impression.
dennisspicer
Forum Member

by jeanniezelos » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:41 am

I use charcoal and sometimes just leave it to blend with the paints - gives a shadowed edge. if i don't want that i just use it lightly. sometimes i use a dilute paint to sketch with, depends on how complex your initial work is. mine tend to be just an outline to start and i let the work get more complex as it develops over subesquent layers.
jeanniezelos
Power User