Finishing Varnish( edited-should be re touching varnish)

Discuss and recommend materials and suppliers

PostFinishing Varnish( edited-should be re touching varnish)

by dianejennings » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:14 pm

Ive just finished an oil commission and it will be patchy when finished.I will be posting it in around a months time.
Can anyone tell me--If I use Finishing Varnish( that should have been -re-touching varnish-edited)
does it have to be removed before applying the normal varnish in say a years time or can I advise the commissioner to either give it a coat of varnish herself or return to me to do so!
There were no instructions with it--at least the writing is so tiny cant see if there is!
Any advise would be great, thanks :lol:
Last edited by dianejennings on Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dianejennings
Forum Member

PostRe: Finishing Varnish

by chrisburton » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:38 pm

Hi there ,Not sure to the answer!you should not varnish the painting to soon though,it will react with the oil paint! you should wait at least six month,regards Chris Burton.
chrisburton
Forum Newbie

by dianejennings » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:55 pm

Thanks,I understood that the retouching varnish can be used as soon as it is touch dry, it evens out any dry patches, just not sure if you can paint the normal over or take it off first! :roll:
Last edited by dianejennings on Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dianejennings
Forum Member

by chrisburton » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Hello Diane,just had a look at your work,one word comes to mind,amazing!very impressed,puts my work to shame !keep up the good work.Love to hear your views of my work.Regards,Chris. http://www.chrisbuton-art .co.uk
chrisburton
Forum Newbie

by dianejennings » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:05 pm

Just had a look at your Chris-great stuff--looks like you started off the same way as me! :wink: :wink:
dianejennings
Forum Member

by dennisspicer » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:58 pm

I assume that by finishing varnish you mean retouching varnish. The only references I can find to finishing varnish all refer to varnishing wood, so make sure you have the correct product for paintings.Retouching varnish has a special formulation to make it permeable to air: so the painting carries on drying underneath. It is designed to be used as soon as the painting is touch dry to even out flat areas in the surface. As to whether you should remove it, I think not to bother, but to varnish over the top with the permanent varnish in about a year's time.
dennisspicer
Forum Member

by dianejennings » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:06 pm

OOOPS Thats what I meant to call it----hormones playing up sorry! :oops: :oops:
So it will be ok just to coat normal varnish over it then!
dianejennings
Forum Member

PostRe: Finishing Varnish( edited-should be re touching varnish)

by jeanniezelos » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:27 am

Hi Di, I found this on a quick websearch so it looks a very useful tool to have :D I've been using oils alot recently so might have to get some. I like the fact that you can paint overtop, I'm always looking at works and wanting to make some small alterations - and if you decide later you don't like it any more and its not sold its useful to be able to create a new work and re-use the canvas. I'm doing an oil snow landscape at moment on an old acrylic that i wasn't certain of at the time of painting and now 3 years on def don't like any more. It makes me feel thrifty and non wasteful doing this - saves space too!! :D

http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop~parentID ... D~8754.htm
Daler Rowney Retouching Varnish

This versatile varnish is used to bring back the original paint quality of dry or dull oil.Retouching Varnish is reduced with solvents and is much thinner than final top coat varnish. It can be used however,as a preliminary varnish as soon as the oil paint is touch dry,since oil paint can continue to dry out through the film.This may be useful for varnishing before an exhibition.Retouching Varnish can be removed with Turpentine or White Spirit prior to final varnishing,or it can be left underneath.
jeanniezelos
Power User

by dennisspicer » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:37 pm

As I have mentioned in a previous post , if all you want to do is get rid of flat areas and make the surface uniform you can "oil out " your paintings. This involves rubbing some linseed oil into the surface of the painting with a lint free cloth, leaving it for ten minutes and wiping off the residue. It goes without saying the painting must be touch dry! It should result in an even sheen all over, which has the added advantage of sealing any tiny holes or gaps in the paint, while still allowing air to dry the paint.
As has been mentioned, you can apply retouching varnish during the painting process, but the trouble is it introduces another layer of different materials into the paint, so it is considered better practice to oil out if you intend to carry on painting.
dennisspicer
Forum Member

by jeanniezelos » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:42 am

Thanks Dennis - an a "new to oils" person I appreciate tips like that.
I don't usually varnish at all with my acrylics until they are sold ( which means i rarely varnish :D ) but i have noticed with the oils that as they dry some look shiny whereas other colours dry up quite dull. i thought maybe it was the oil/thinners mix maybe - but reading it seems that some colours naturally dry quite dull, oiling out would help (me) get a feel for if a work was actually finished. In the unlikely event that one of my oils sells before its had time to dry enough for varnishing ( well - I live in hope :D ) it'll be good to know that at least i can give it a coat of this varnish.
jeanniezelos
Power User

by dianejennings » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:57 am

Thanks Dennis and Jeannie. I have finished the painting Dennis, so I will use the retouching varnish on the dry parts. :wink:

It will be a few weeks until its dry enough to do so.
dianejennings
Forum Member