Call for help with web presentation!!!!

Discuss and recommend materials and suppliers

PostCall for help with web presentation!!!!

by helennock » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi folks,
This is a boring one but I need help to smarten up my site. I've noticed others have all sorts of live links, active buttons and other stuff that's totally beyond my ken. Is it all done with using live links and html in the how to guide? What is frustrating me most is having to load additional details of the same work as main images. This is clogging up my gallery display and a bit boring to trawl through for viwers I feel. Ultimately, I want to enable the main image of a work to be clicked on and then optional views are available. This is vital for 3D work. I'm sorry if this sounds garbled and I am being lazy and mean. But if anyone has some pointers, would be extremely grateful.

Helen :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
helennock
Power User

PostRe: Call for help with web presentation!!!!

by helennock » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:34 pm

I've looked at the add links help section and it looks like I need to know how to create html code to link additional image....I think ...therefore I'm dangerous :roll: :?
helennock
Power User

by jeanniezelos » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:29 am

Hi Helen, i'm not quite sure what you mean - maybe if you added a couple of links to sites you have seen that have what you want it might be clearer? mind - IT help and me... :oops: not my best subject tho i'm learning :)
jeanniezelos
Power User

by helennock » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:05 am

Sorry Jeanie. I was as clear as mud.
It's about an alternative option for additional views of my work in my current website gallery. I'd like different shots of details like side view, close-up etc that come up after clicking on the main image. As it stands, all images are loaded side by side interupting viewing continuity. I'm guessing this option only possible via html links wizardry...loadsa work..and still don't know how to do it. Thanks for trying anyway x :D
helennock
Power User

by wendypuerto » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:56 pm

Hi Helen I'm no whiz when it comes to html editing,but the easiest way I have found is by using my google blog html editor or any html editor then uploading the image i want to use on my web site from my pc,the editor will convert it to html text, I then highlight and copy and paste the converted link to the discription area in my TAW admin against the pic and save it.

I hope it makes some sense.
wendypuerto
Power User

by helennock » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:34 pm

Thanks Wendy, That sure sounds a lot wizzier than me! I've copied your info to my pc so I can study later. Thanks again :D
helennock
Power User

by jeanniezelos » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:48 am

Oh - I see what you mean now Helen. that's one of the things on my list for my home website, a detail part of the work, in situ and side view for when appropriate. My son does my site ( i'm lucky - he's a web developer by trade) but it means i have to wait for when he has time.
I think its one of those things that might be easier to do than to read about - work it out step by step with info in front. I find I can't work things out "in the mind" sometimes but by working through it practically I can do it.
best of luck
jeanniezelos
Power User

by helennock » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:03 am

Thanks Jeannie,
I'm more practical too and definately learn better by doing. Might be all the blackboard rubbers and chalks hurtled at my head for day dreaming in maths!!
helennock
Power User

by jeanniezelos » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:49 am

gosh that sounds familiar - i was always n trouble for gazing out the window in a dream.
wonder what teachers do now its whiteboards....can't get the same effect as blackboard rubber with a felt pen :D
jeanniezelos
Power User

by helennock » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:58 am

I expect many of us experienced education under the tier system. I was hopelessly non-academic and went up and down the grades like a yo-yo often ending up in the 'vocational' subjects, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
In Laurie Lee's Cider with Rosie, he recollects the struggle for rural children in schools under the new education act. He describes how he and his peers would stare outside, thier whole beings tormented by the hazy sun and dust smotes through the window.

There are very few sanctions available to teachers in mandatory education now, other than suspension or exclusion. We've gone completely the other way. Teachers rely on thier natural ability to engage and lead, often negotiating learning with the child and practical subjects are essential to the curriculum.

We had a teacher called 'Laddie' who hated all boys and girls under fourteen. In short, he couldn't stand kids and would torture us sneakily at every opportunity. He had a huge handle-bar moustache. Boys would try and duck past him in the halls but the minute we heard, 'What are you doing there laddie!', we knew someone was getting picked up by thier ears or hair.
Those were the days :shock:
helennock
Power User

by shirleyshelton » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:51 pm

Another really easy way to add more pictures is to use http://photobucket.com/ just upload the pictures you want to use and Photobucket the gives you the html code you need to copy and paste into the description area when filling in details of the artwork for sale (as Wendy described) You can also adjust the sizes of the pictures if you need to.
The only problem is if anyone happened to click on any of the pictures they're linked back to Photobucket but I got round this by removing the link in Microsoft Frontpage, it's not really important as most people will just look at the pictures and not click on them. I also use Flickr http://www.flickr.com/

Shirley :)
shirleyshelton
Forum Member

by helennock » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm

Thanks very much for that info Shirley. Idid wonder where else I could store images on web for links. Might get back to you about microsoft front page bit.

Helen :D
helennock
Power User

by shirleyshelton » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:57 am

OK Helen, glad to help :D
Shirley
shirleyshelton
Forum Member

by jeanniezelos » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:45 am

read photobucket T&C first :shock:
http://photobucket.com/terms
part of 6.1
Photobucket and/or other Users may copy, print or display publicly available Content outside of the Photobucket Services, including without limitation, via the Site or third party websites or applications (for example, services allowing Users to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content).

that reads to me like you are allowing anyone to use your images for any purpose....far too ambiguous for me so i'd never join.
been having this discussion on another forum where images have to be on web already to be uploaded to site. after reading photobuckets terms a member has suggested imageshack. terms there seem more reasonable.
jeanniezelos
Power User

by shirleyshelton » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:45 pm

That's a good point jeannie, I usually only upload small file size pictures onto Photobucket so they'd be difficult to reproduce with any quality the same with Flickr although they do give you the option to keep your pictures private
Shirley
shirleyshelton
Forum Member