Box Canvas frames at great prices

Discuss and recommend materials and suppliers

PostBox Canvas frames at great prices

by wendypuerto » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:50 pm

I have just got an email re DIY box Canvas framing http://www.you-frame.com It works out approx £12.00 for a 12 x 16 ins as a starting guide price might be worth checking out.
wendypuerto
Power User

PostRe: Box Canvas frames at great prices

by dianejennings » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:27 pm

My local framer does box canvas frames 16 in x 20 in for £12. It is a slightly cheaper rate than normal for me as I buy lots of them to sell on to my students. :D
He does a variety of colours to suit the paintings we do in class---a good deal. I expect he would do mail order as well.I will give him a ring and ask him
edited to say 20 in not 29 in !
Last edited by dianejennings on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dianejennings
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:00 pm

That's even better,I just remembered someone recently asked.
wendypuerto
Power User

by jeanniezelos » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:58 am

i buy mine in carton quantities from ken bromley
http://www.artsupplies.co.uk/item_loxle ... carton.htm
16 x 20 its £16.54 for 5, standard edge. for deep edge its £21.92
http://www.artsupplies.co.uk/item_loxle ... carton.htm

I've not bought any for a while and now there are smaller quantities in each box which is great, i used to have to buy 20 at a time. I think its a bargain price and certainly they are excellent service as regards delivery. orders over £39 free delivery.
they also do winsor and newton, reeves and loxely ashgate. I just like the Gold so stick with that.
jeanniezelos
Power User

by joetymkow » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:30 am

I tend to work much bigger than most, typically my canvases are 48" x 60". I get the stretchers made up by Jeffay Furniture near Manchester http://www.artiststretcherbars.co.uk . The frames are sturdy and well put together, but you still have to stretch and prime your own canvas after. The prices have gone up since the website was created, and there is a delivery charge, but you can always call/e-mail for a quote.
joetymkow
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:38 am

I was meaning Box Canvas Frames not the Canvases themselves.I think jeannie misunderstood me.
wendypuerto
Power User

by brianpetrie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:31 pm

I haven't a clue what you mean Wendy. What is a box canvas frame ?

Do you mean the stretcher bars that the canvas is attached to ? Or a frame that the box canvas sits in ?
I went on the website from your link and I'm none the wiser.
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:00 pm

The Actual frames for deep box canvases.
wendypuerto
Power User

by jeanniezelos » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:08 am

yes - i misread your post wendy :D and was thinking about box canvas itself not the actual frame :oops:
I'll have a look at that site - i usually just have my box canvas plain and unframed ( and that's back into a previous discussion :D )but mainly because of cost not aesthetics!
jeanniezelos
Power User

by brianpetrie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:34 am

I must be thick !
Is this right ? You buy the plastic frame type thing and a canvas comes with it. You put the frame together clipping the corners into place and stretch the canvas around it and Bob's your uncle...you have a box canvas, the "frame" is hidden with the canvas then you paint on it. What are the benefits ? (if this is how it works)
Couldn't you just buy ready made canvases ?
Or am I really missing something here ?
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:41 am

It is a simple do it yourself Deep Frame for the deep Box Canvas that you have already painted on,so when it is finished and needs to be framed you can do it yourself with this easy type frame.That needs no carpentry skills it just clicks together.I know they are easily available in standard depth canvases but it is more difficult to find do it your self deep frames and they usually work out very expensive if you need to get a framer to do it for you.
wendypuerto
Power User

by brianpetrie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:16 pm

Wendy, have you used one of these before ?
When I look at the web link again, it states you get the frame and a canvas. Why get a canvas when you have already painted your own as you suggested ?

The Photoshop template for the canvas looks like it's to be wrapped round the frame hence the guide for the corner cuts.
I don't think you get a frame for a finished canvas to sit in but a box for the canvas to wrap around, then paint.

Look at it again Wendy, there's no pic of how it would look with a canvas in it or what kind of finish it has.

I think the use of the word "frame" is the confusing bit here. To me it's a canvas stretcher.
Just easier to put together than a wooden one.
Am I making any sense ?
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:23 pm

No.

They supply the frames only.
Which could prove useful for exhibitions when you just need a simple innoffensive frame for the event not a permenent fixture as I always think a frame is a personal choice

I d beg your pardon I didn't read the bit where you need to oreder a print too.OOPS!

I thought you could just buy the frame I wil;l ask them if they also offer this too.

I suppose it would be useful if you were doing prints.
wendypuerto
Power User

by brianpetrie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:43 pm

I'll end after this one Wendy.
I've checked again, downloaded the template and opened it in photoshop and I see what you're getting.

What you are getting is what's normally called a stretcher.
The canvas, either the one they supply or your own is then wrapped around the "frame" as they call it.
What you then have is a box canvas with the canvas wrapped around the sides and the "frame" hidden.
Exactly the same as you probably use now but the canvas being attached to plastic, not wood.

A simple "box canvas frame" which the canvas sits in and therefor hides the edges or sides is not what you're getting here !

Trust me on this one Wendy, you're NOT getting a frame to edge the canvas, you're simply getting something to stretch the canvas around which will be easier to join than a wooden one.

But, surely buying ready made stretched canvases would be much easier.
I'll end now, though I'm sure I'll hear from you regarding this. If you do buy one please let me know what you got !!
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:02 pm

Thanks Brian Men are better with these sort of things and probably always will be,and that's not being sexist or anything their Brains seem to be geared around this sort of thing,

I thought the way it was portrayed as being the finishing frame.

I am glad we have uit all cleared up,and sorry for wasting peoples time. :oops: :oops: :oops:
wendypuerto
Power User