painting on plywood

Discuss and recommend materials and suppliers

Postpainting on plywood

by brianpetrie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:10 pm

I know it's been used for years, but I did my first painting on 5.5mm exterior plywood today (4'x2') and what a fantastic surface to paint on !

No grain to put up with just a great matt, dry surface. A bit more expensive than MDF or hardboard but 100 times nicer. I didn't prime it with anything, just straight on with the acrylic and so far the paint hasn't been sooked (a good Scottish word) into the wood.

It gives a nice warm tone behind any dry brush passages.

It's a big seascape and after forty coats of yacht varnish I intend to hang it outside against a garden wall.

Anyone else used it ?
brianpetrie
Forum Member

PostRe: painting on plywood

by wendypuerto » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:49 pm

Sounds great :) I have some left over from having the Bathroom floor lined with it before the tiles went down last week, so may give it ago.. What paint have you used? as the acrylic scratched a bit on the wood I used a couple of weeks ago it is stable now I have varnished them.

Is the Seascape on the gallery so we can see it?

It is a heavier wood so would add to cost if sending though.
wendypuerto
Power User

by brianpetrie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:17 pm

I use Liquitex heavy body as always. I don't think it would be too heavy on a smallish piece, though I rarely send paintings anywhere, as they normally sell from galleries.

Actually on the subject of sending paintings, I'm about to post one over to New York framed with glass too. It weighs 5 kilos. Have you used Transglobal Express ? They seem to be agents for DHL and the price quoted was £38 plus £9 insurance which I thought was pretty good. Royal mail quoted £100.

A change of topic I know but....
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by brianpetrie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:34 pm

Here it is in it's proposed resting place. Though I'm going to put a rough driftwood frame around it. It's pretty much the view I get from my studio if I was only six feet taller !

It took about an hour but I'm not going to add any more to it I'm happy with the roughness of it. Plus once I get seagull droppings on it it should look pretty authentic
Attachments
garden seascape.jpg
garden seascape.jpg (124.45 KiB) Viewed 21540 times
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:49 pm

What a cracker :) The Painting I am refferring to :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I havn't used transglobal I usually use fed/ex via parcel 2go funnilly enough I have one waiting to be picked up Tomorrow to New York sized 5 feet by 3 feet cost £58 sqid. I am not happy if sending glazed.I have recenty sold via a gallery so am branching out in that direction. I am planning a summerhouse/gallery at the moment thinking of using it as a by appointment sort of thing. and somewhere nice to sit so a double purpose use.
wendypuerto
Power User

by cgdaniel » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:54 pm

Hello everyone...

Thought this might interest anyone interested in plywood! It's from my review on the Russian Constructivist exhibition currently at Tate Modern

"And yet it is the tiny prosaic details underlying the poetry which capture the attention. Most memorably, there are the constant reminders of the materials on which both Popova and Rodchenko composed. The grain of plywood re-emerging slowly over the years, as the vibrancy of oils used to compose early geometric pieces fades away. Rough drawings on card, cardboard, scraps of paper, the fraying textiles of abstract collages. All turning to dust".

You can read the full review <A HREF="http://www.cristus-gallery.com/2009/04/tate-modern-rodchenko-and-popova/" TARGET="_blank">here</A>
cgdaniel
Forum Newbie

by helennock » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi Brain,
Definately, a cracker. I have a piece of marine ply, still nocking around in the garden, I painted on approx 11 yrs ago. I sanded a light key straight on the ply surface then used acrylic with only a couple of coats of water-baed yatch varnish. The acrylic still remains true (I have used acrylic on alsorts of exterior surfaces and find it sticks like watsit to a blanket if left to cure for long enough providing moisture can't penetrate upwards from behind) but the varnish did peel off after several years. Sounds like your sooking will be bullet proof. Tis lovely to work on thick ply - a nice solid sensation. I'm off for a quick peek at cg's paper [url]You can read the full review <http://www.cristus-gallery.com/2009/04/tate-modern-rodchenko-and-popova/" TARGET="_blank">here</A>[/url]

Nope, url not taking
helennock
Power User

by jeanniezelos » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 am

I love painting on board. My first venture into acrylics was a 2 day course with artist Nicola Slattery and she paints on ply and that's what we used. lightly sanded and coated with gesso - its how i still do it. I've also used ply for encaustic (wax) artworks. http://www.jeanniezelos.com/Image.asp?ID=286
Its just that canvas/no frame is easier when posting. I hate sending glazed works and had one on board 28 x 28 ins sold to USA - I suggested i just send the painting and she re frame and i'd reduce the cost - she agreed :D and it was easier to send. so many carriers won't take glazed works now - sounds like you've found a bargain one Brian - thats a really good price.
jeanniezelos
Power User