Some medium advice please

Discuss and recommend materials and suppliers

PostSome medium advice please

by CWA » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:39 pm

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on a type of medium to use. Most of my drawings are of cars, and to be honest I hardly ever stray from using pencils. I occasionally use watercolours but am not really that experienced with them.

I have been doing a few caricatures recently (I don't know whether this is frowned upon here or not?) and have been trying to find a suitable medium to get a shiny paint effect. I first tried by using tinting with just a white pencil on black paper, using a picture I already had as a study. I found that I can just about achieve similar tints to make the 'shine in the paintwork', but the quality is very poor, and as I'm sure you can see, it is very grainy.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of medium is likely to have been used to achieve the pink example that I was studying? Would it have been some kind of paint? I don't think it could have been pencil as I'm sure it would still look grainy, even if not so much as mine. Possibly rendered with markers of some kind? I honestly have no idea, and would like to start working in the same medium to achieve a similar effect. My study and the example I was studying from is shown below, I have obviously not begun working on the headlights, bumpers or trim yet - just the paintwork.

All help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Tony
CWA
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Some medium advice please

by korzerrobinson » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:56 pm

as far as markers are concerned, those are the best in my opinion:
http://www.discountart.co.uk/_Copic_Original_Markers_cat_1137.html
korzerrobinson
Junior Forum Member

by nadiyapavliv » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi Tony

I wanted to achieve glassy effect on one of my work of the city's new office building (Ropemaker Street). Self levelling Clear Gel I thought would do the job but unfortunately I found that you cannot mix it with oils(that is the only medium I work with) so I decided not to risk my painting which was due for the end of the year show. I did tried the gel on a smaller canvas though but not mixing it with any pigment but on top of the old painting and if you do it twice the needed effect may be achieved. You can try to mix it with acrylics and see how it works.
Hope this can be useful, good luck with your paintings. I have no idea why but I do like pink car more than grey. :lol:
Nadiya.
nadiyapavliv
Forum Newbie

by jeanniezelos » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:30 am

a lady at the art group i attend uses coloured pencils and she uses a burnishing tool to get a soft shine effect - you could try one of those - its simply like a piece of plastic that you rub over your work to bring out the waxes in the pencils. i've also actually used beeswax ( you can buy little blocks of encaustic waxes as well as the big ones) on watercolour just to experiment with water effects - then once its dry ( about 10 seconds!!) just rub over with a cloth. or you could try varnishing just the car if you're using acrylics or oils or add more oil than turps/spirit to get a glossy effect.

But in fact I think with painting its the ILLUSION of gloss rather than actual gloss - like the way muscles are rendered in Helens blacksmith study - its about 3d effects on 2d paper/supports of some kind. so the illusion of gloss in the pink car is created by careful choice of lighter pinks and the direction of the stroke. it goes at an angle similar to the way the light would show if it hit glossy paint on a car.

what you really need to do ( and i mean this politely) is get out and look at real cars not photos. look at how the light falls on them. and not just cars - anything - i'm looking at a rose just in front of my window and the light falls on some of the leaves making bits of them look white - of course they are really green but if i were painting them then i'd add the lighter greens grading up to white where the light is brightest and thats what turns the inage on paper from 2d to looking like 3d - I hope you can make sense of that? I think thats really your answer rather than what medium - looking at the way you use any medium.
jeanniezelos
Power User

by CWA » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks korzerrobinson for the link to the marker pens, I will purchase one of those and give it a try. Does anyone know what kind of paper is best to use the markers on? I don't want the paper to be too grainy as I think I will still have the same problem.

Thanks Nadiya for the tips, I will bear them in mind if I ever decide to give painting a go in the future.

jeanniezelos, thanks also for the tips - I will look out for a burnishing tool and see if this helps. I have actually thought about what you explained before about giving the illusion of 3D in 2D form, and I do agree with it. But I have put light and tints in exactly the same way as the example I was studying. As I was trying to recreate it exactly, I found that this was down to the grains on my paper. Cars have shiny paintwork, and so obviously the paintwork is not grainy. My medium was producing grains and the example I was studying had not and so the example I was studying looks alot more realistic than the one I re-created. Also, I do work with cars and happen to own a beetle like the studies I have shown.. I find the annoying thing about trying to draw using it as a study is the fact that the paint is so shiny that it just reflects my garage wall or me in it all the time!

Thanks again,

Tony
CWA
Forum Newbie