Painting onto a Plastic OHP screen

Discuss and recommend materials and suppliers

PostPainting onto a Plastic OHP screen

by amynapper » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:21 pm

Hello, I'm in need of some advice!

I have been commissioned to paint a backdrop for a local band and they want me to paint onto an old plastic OHP screen so it's easy for them to put up, store etc.

Problem is I'm trying to find a paint that won't crack when it is wound up tight and also won't stick to the back of the screen when it's wound up aswell. I think I need some sort of uber durable acrylic paint, maybe a vinyl paint? Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers

Amy
amynapper
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Painting onto a Plastic OHP screen

by korzerrobinson » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:26 pm

There is an acrylic medium that is mainly used to paint onto fabric, like t-shirts, or teary eyed harlequins onto black velvet pillowcases...it keeps the paint rubbery, so it wouldn't crack. It might be cost prohibitive for such a large surface though.

How about mixing pigment and clear latex paint?
korzerrobinson
Junior Forum Member

by amynapper » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:40 pm

that may be a good option. I'm going to do some test samples.

I have found a 'flexible vinyl spray' but im not too sure I want to spray paint it. The rubbery paint could be good but would it not stick to itself when wrapped up? (Just thinking I could put some osrt of backing on the screen)

It's only going to be black and white at least :D
amynapper
Forum Newbie

by jeanniezelos » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:22 am

acrylic paint is flexible but i'm not sure how flexible....you could get them to wrap it up with a layer of something non stick like greaseproof paper when they roll it up for the night? ,Must be some kind of fabric like that what would work?
jeanniezelos
Power User