resin

Discuss and recommend materials and suppliers

Postresin

by brianpetrie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:23 pm

Has anyone used resin or anything similar to add a finish to prints or paintings ? I quite fancy the idea but haven't got a clue what to use
brianpetrie
Forum Member

PostRe: resin

by soniabublaitis » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:31 pm

Hi Brian,

I have been thinking along the same lines but haven't got any idea how to go about it.

Sonia
soniabublaitis
Junior Forum Member

by brianpetrie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:38 pm

Well Sonia, at the moment, you're no help to me and I'm no help to you !!

Hopefully someone will be, unless they're keeping the recipe a secret !!
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by soniabublaitis » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:43 pm

:lol: Nah, not secret recipe as they're a kind bunch on here. Someone will share......... PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Hopefully, that will do the trick :D
soniabublaitis
Junior Forum Member

by soniabublaitis » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi Brian,

Just found this website and it is what you are looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/user/davezak#p/u/2/IZn5Nkvhtfo

Off to buy some resin now >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :D
soniabublaitis
Junior Forum Member

by brianpetrie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:29 pm

Thanks Sonia, exactly what I'm looking for, I'll try to find a stockist now
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by brianpetrie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:35 pm

Seems it's an American product Sonia, not sure if it can be bought here. I'll search for something similar
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by lindikirwin » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:18 pm

:) hi brian,

i used epoxy resin recently on a commission i had from duerrs jam-makers.
if you go onto my website http://www.lindi-kirwin.co.uk, you can read all about it and see the image.

this company http://www.resin-supplies.co.uk/contact.htm are the best around for advice. give them a call and they will gladly advise you on which resin will fit the job.

let us know how you get on.
hope this helps.
:)
lindikirwin
Forum Member

by brianpetrie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks, I'll do that
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by soniabublaitis » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi Brian,

Sorry didn't realise :oops: Mad, busy day. Glad you had another post which should do it! Will check it out too.

All the best, Sonia
soniabublaitis
Junior Forum Member

by tiffanydurling » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:25 pm

I've recently been looking into using resin [Fleur Deakin's work inspired me]
but my research made me realise that I need a garage or somewhere to allow for smelly drying. It's all very toxic when the two componants are mixed, and gloves and mask are best used.

but anyways, I found that for small canvases, Liquitex pouring medium is good for a shiny shine or to embed collage etc. I've done a few, see my mixed media gallery. I've gloss varnished them too for extra strength]

I haven't ruled out using proper resin though as it's delicious!
maybe in the summer i'll dry them out in the garden?

I think I got them from discount art, or chromos website, but the bottles are small, 237ml

:mrgreen:

let us know how it goes
tiffanydurling
Forum Member

by brianpetrie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:53 pm

I use Liquitex paints all the time, I might give the pouring medium a go, but like yourself the resin is actually the effect I'm after, thick and crystal clear. A bit like me actually !!

I'm going to give the company that Lindi suggested a try. You do seem to get odourless resin too but again only in America as far as I can make out. And there aint no way I'm moving there !!!
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by lindikirwin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:34 pm

hi brian et al. :)

i'm not an expert on resin by any means as it was actually my first time of using it, but i was advised by that company in sandbach and also some 'resin-using artist friends', that one needs to be acurate with my weighing for the best results. i bought some scales from the 'pound stop' which didn't matter getting mucky in my studio, plus a set of average decorating brushes; also, a used an old ice cream tub for the resin.
mixing has to be thorough so maybe use some plastic fork/spoon cos you'll have to throw them away when you've used them...they'll be knackered next morning, lol!!

heed this advice because it could make or break your piece/painting, which would be awful after all the hard work, and be a very expensive mistake!! lol

best of luck brian.
let us know... :)
lindikirwin
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:01 am

You can buy arabic Gum I think thats how it's spelt) from all good art outlets and you can add or take away to make it thicker texture without all the toxic fumes.

Is it the shiny thick consistancy you are trying to acheive?

Also impasto Gel is available to mix with paints
wendypuerto
Power User

by jeanniezelos » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:09 am

whats the effect you're after brian? Why resin? I've done some textured works inpast where i needed a good strong varnish just to ensure the raised areas had some extra protection but i just used a good covering of a brush on gloss varnish.

I use dammar resin crystals in my encaustic works, to make wax medium used to dilute the colours simlar to water or oil/spirit in other media. I crush the crystals as fine as poss them melt in an old saucepan on my encaustic palette - its a steel plate over an electric hotplete - i think its important not to have the crystals over direct heat. once they are melted i add the wax - i guess at this stage you could add spirit or whatever it is you want to get the effect you're after.
i buy the crystals from US - a wax site called R&F couldn't find anywhere in Uk but that was a couple of years ago - maybe there's some around now?
damar resin is on this page
http://www.rfpaints.com/index.php?optio ... uct_id=718
it adds a little harness to the beeswax which is why its in the waxmedium, a little protection - i use it about 1 resin to 4 wax - too much and the wax becomes brittle - too little and its subject to scratches ( though they polish out :) )

it says there mix it with turpentine to make varnish - butbe careful as its very flammable, why i don't use direct heat source when melting and watch for fumes. Its fun th making your won stuff so long as you take care and ensure its of adequate quality not to let down your standards.
jeanniezelos
Power User