resin

Discuss and recommend materials and suppliers

PostRe: resin

by soniabublaitis » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:35 am

Erm, so many products to choose from :? I really need the qualities of resin minus the toxic fumes. Now that its winter I wouldn't have anywhere to store it safely.

Guess I will try the Liquitex pouring medium a try first.

Wow my scream certainly worked :lol: Great advice!

Many thanks

Sonia
soniabublaitis
Junior Forum Member

by brianpetrie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:16 am

Hi Jeannie, I'm doing some collage with cut-outs of prints of mine, bits of string , leaves etc, but I want one smooth surface almost like liquid glass has been poured on to get rid of all the hard edges and give it a shiny finish. I tried fibreglass resin from Halfords but apart from the stink (it bothers my wife more than me) the hardener was a reddish colour and the end result was a red tinge which I didn't want. I almost want the artwork to look like it's lying in a puddle of crystal clear water, if that makes sense
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by jeanniezelos » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:48 am

ah i see what you mean. would multi layers of a brush on varnish work? embed the objects in the first layer and then contiue til you have a smooth layer? I don't know if it would work - trial peice first i guess... :D if the stuff you want is in US do they sell here? you have to allow extra shipping costs and possbly taxes/duty ( sometimes customs charge sometimes not) most firms are pretty good and in fact even taking into account extra costs sometimes its cheaper than buying stuff here and when i've pordered its usually only a few days before thyey arrive - longest was a couple of weeks.
jeanniezelos
Power User

by brianpetrie » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:29 am

You're right Jeannie, multiple coats of varnish probably would achieve the result I'm looking for, but sadly I wasn't blessed with a great deal of patience !!

That's why I prefer acrylics to oils. So the Liquitex pouring medium sounds the one for me. You just pour it on, put it away for a day or so and you have the equivalent of twenty or more coats of varnish (so they say). I know I would put on my next coat of varnish before the earlier one was dry. I just know I would !
Then the swearing would start :)

Also if you buy toxic resin from the States it can't be flown anywhere, it needs to be transported by road and then presumably ship. When I buy from the internet I like it to be delivered as soon as I'm finished typing ! And at 57ish, I'll never change now !
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by soniabublaitis » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi Brian,

Do you know whether the Liquitex pouring medium would be suitable for outdoor use?

Yacht varnish can have a yellowing effect which works sometimes and others not.

Cheers, Sunny :)
soniabublaitis
Junior Forum Member

by brianpetrie » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:16 pm

Not got a clue Sunny, but I've ordered some today so I'll let you know if it says so on the bottle.
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by soniabublaitis » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:07 pm

Thanks Brian. I appreciate it! :D
soniabublaitis
Junior Forum Member