Emulsion paint thickeners...

Discuss and recommend materials and suppliers

PostEmulsion paint thickeners...

by killingtime » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:52 am

Hi there,

First post on the forum, and I'm looking for some advice on how I might go about thickening emulsion paint for an art project.

I've plenty of emulsion paint in various colours, and would like to do something with it rather than throw it out.

Some artists use silica sand with latex paint, but I'm not sure if this will work with emulsion.

I've tried mixing emulsion matt with artex ceiling texture powder, and it appears for work in 1 -2mm layers without cracking (on primed timber board).

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.
killingtime
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Emulsion paint thickeners...

by helennock » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi,

Lots of commercial products for mixing with acrylic paint but so expensive in quantities. I've used cement-based bathroom grout/adhesive in artist quality acrylic, and bumped up depth of colour with powder pigment. But that's as far as my paint thickener experience goes.
Speaking of grout for impasto, I've also used pre-mixed coloured grout/adhesives combined with other media. Some of the brand names contain dense pigments. Not as cheap as putting filler in leftover emulsion but a lot cheaper than artist heavy body fillers. Image shows detail of work using red grout.
Attachments
Detail.jpg
Detail.jpg (89.08 KiB) Viewed 12579 times
Detail.jpg
Detail.jpg (89.08 KiB) Viewed 12579 times
helennock
Power User

by killingtime » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:53 pm

Hello helennock,

Thanks for the info. I'll try your idea and see how it goes.

Thanks.
killingtime
Forum Newbie

by jeanniezelos » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:32 am

i've mixed polyfilla with acrylics and added some pva glue to give flexibility - used it on canvas without cracking. but depends on how thick you want to go - very thick and i'd use firm support like board to avoid cracking.
jeanniezelos
Power User

by turner24 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:02 am

I am in the middle of an art project that I have to present next month. It is bit confusing how to involve with the emulsion paint thickeners and therefore, I do not need to get a low score with my art project. I am looking for some advice on how to implement this.

--------------
WILLIAM TURNER
www.bnschevronservice.com
turner24
Forum Newbie