Can you use lino printing ink for screenprinting?

Discuss and recommend materials and suppliers

PostCan you use lino printing ink for screenprinting?

by moragmerriman » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi everyone, it's been quite a while since I last posted, but am wondering if anyone can help out here. I do quite a bit of eraser/lino printing for which I use either ink pads or a water-based lino printing ink (Lukas). However I'm now thinking of also returning to screenprinting for a project I'm working on, and as I last did screenprinting at school, which was many years ago, I'm keen to ask for advice on the following: can you use water-based lino printing ink for screenprinting on paper? I've been trying to find this info on the internet but no luck so am hoping someone out there will be able to advise!
Many thanks, Morag
moragmerriman
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Can you use lino printing ink for screenprinting?

by helennock » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi Morag, I would think you could use any water based medium so long as it will pass through the screen and mix with print medium.
I dimly remember a workshop with an artist screen printing with oils...plenty of thinning fluid and quite fumy!
This might be useful for a recap : http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=a7eRj_wbwzkC&pg=PA162&lpg=PA162&dq=screen+printing+with+oil+pastels&source=bl&ots=jH0N8Ch7yA&sig=bVpP4s7ba32hCbVJwvegTNGMiFo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-dA9Uo-rIsbR0QXg0IDACQ&ved=0CFkQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=screen%20printing%20with%20oil%20pastels&f=false

Good luck
helennock
Power User

PostRe: Can you use lino printing ink for screenprinting?

by moragmerriman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi Helen,
Thanks so much for contacting me! Encouraging to know that lino ink could work in screenprinting, and the link is very helpful indeed - there seems to be a lot of really good stuff in there, so many thanks for all your help and advice!
Best wishes
Morag
moragmerriman
Forum Newbie