Palette Knives.

Discuss and recommend materials and suppliers

PostPalette Knives.

by mpennifoldart » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:34 pm

Hello,

I am an avid palette/painting knife user. I really like the way the apply paint to canvas and now when I go back to brushes I dont get the same feeling. I originally bought a cheap set from The Range as I wasn't sure about them but now I want to upgrade my knives to a better quality brand. I have noticed both Windsor and Newton and a company called RGM seem to be the main sellers.

Can anyone recommend either or another brand?

I will hopefully post some pictures for review in the near future.

Thank you.

Mark
mpennifoldart
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Palette Knives.

by William » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:09 pm

I have worked with painting knives (as opposed to palette knives) for more than 40 years. They are particularly suited to en plein air painting, which is mostly what I do, as they allow the use of broken colour to represent detail that would otherwise be just too long winded.
On large paintings it can help to block in some masses with a brush to make coverage easier although I do this less and less, as applying the paint directly with a knife allows you to use the reflective canvas surface to shine through thinner passages, a bit like the use of paper in watercolour.

I have used W and N knives throughout. I have two sizes both triangular blades with cranked handles. A note of caution: after prolonged use on rough canvas they get very sharp, I have numerous finger cuts to prove the point. Also they can snap without warning so keep a couple of spares.

Hope this helps. If you are looking for knife painters try JMW Turner who used one extensively and Keffyn Williams.

William Swann
William