Deanington

Need a second opinion? Post your work here for constructive criticism...

PostDeanington

by deanington » Tue May 25, 2010 9:27 am

Hey,
I may aswell add a little intorudction before i post the images. I'm 17 and i have AS Level Art, i've already finished the course so i'm just awaiting the results ;).
I'll label each work with if it was done for the art course or not as well as the tools used and time it toook to make. There isn't anything that can be changed about the work for my Art course, howerver, i can always take the criticism to help me for new art work i produce. Here goes..

Pencil / Graphite
3 Hours and done for my Art exam.

Acrylic
Done in 4 hours, was preperation for the exam. The reason why it took so long is for the fact that i'm colour blind, aha.

Pastel
Took roughly an hour and a half to get that far, i forgot to take a photo of it when complete though :(. Took roughly 4-5 hours in total when it had been finished.

Oil bar

This one took 2 hours and was preperation for the exam.

Digital
ImageImage
Both took roughly an hour to make. Both were done from boredom hehe :).

Looking forward to some criticism,
thanks in advance :).

(This took so long to make :| aha)
deanington
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Deanington

by ickleilly » Tue May 25, 2010 9:45 am

Love the pencil/graphite, and the pastel work.
It may be my monitor but the colours of the skin tone on the acrylic seem too pink. Practice using greens to tone down flesh and add depth. (Although I've only just started doing portraits so I'm no expert!)
Also when doing eyes check out the light reflection and how the white of the eye changes colour round the edges - this mimics the shape of the eyeball and adds depth. This sometimes needs to be overemphasised if you are trying for realism.
Good luck with the exam!
ickleilly
Junior Forum Member

by deanington » Tue May 25, 2010 9:49 am

Thank you for all your help :). I'm writing all the points down hehe.
As for the colours.. i think i wrote somewhere that i'm colourblind.
deanington
Forum Newbie

by jeanniezelos » Fri May 28, 2010 8:16 am

i agree with ruth about the colour - if you have a prob them maybe you'll have to teach yourself how to recognise what colour looks like to you and what it looks like to others - we have a very well selling pastel artist in north norfolk ( but i can't remeber which one it is or his name :oops: - i think its john tookey or something like that - it'll come to me later. he took up art late and didn't discover he was colour blind til he'd been painting quite a while :) so no worries about that being a bar or problem, its not for him.

re the eyes, if you look at your won you'll see the white isn't white - in babies its a bluey white but older kids and adults its more pinky toned, with that pink bit in the inner corner. also eyes are reflective so there will be highlights and often a thin thin line of white along the inside of lower lid too - look closely at your own in mirror and you'll see what i mean. it sort of mimics that wet film running over eye.

i love the bulldog - someone else here recently was painting "irony" - to me this really is ironic humour :) you look, but its the subtlety of it that appeals
jeanniezelos
Power User

by wendypuerto » Sat May 29, 2010 6:50 pm

Hello and welcome onboard 8)
I like your style it now is justa case of working on itI and the more you do the better it gets,I think we all try to better the one thats gone before.

Good luck with the exams!
wendypuerto
Power User

by deanington » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:38 pm

@jean

Thanks for the lengthy critcism :). I'm not too sure how to go about teaching myself how to get colours right though. I think i'll just have to keep practicing with my girlfriend by my side telling me if it's right or not and eventually i'll get the hang of it. Once again for the eyes i just need more practice :). I won't make up some excuse XD.
(also glad to see you like the bulldog aha)

@wendy

Thanks for the greeting and i need the good luck. Not just for art, for maths too! :S
I'll certainly keep getting more practice as i'm carrying it on next year and enjoy it as a hobby :).
deanington
Forum Newbie

by catherinecreaney » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Maybe if you have difficulties with seeing colours correctly you should concentrate on your tonal work instead and keep colours to a minimum. Tonal work can look just as amazing as coloured work so you wont be holding yourself back. You have a lot of talent for your age and will get even better with time, as we all do. I'm a lot better than I was at 17! Like to think so anyway :P Keep going and learning with your art, progressing and learning with art is one of the best things about it :)

Catherine

http://www.catherinecreaney.com
catherinecreaney
Forum Newbie