Website wobbles

Need a second opinion? Post your work here for constructive criticism...

PostWebsite wobbles

by benwhittles » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi! I have been away for what seems like ages! I have been productive though... I chose a figurative theme (thanks for the input back then helping me chose) and I have stuck to it happily. And I have made a thing called a "website". Now these are not as easy as I thought to make! Never mind, mine is more or less up and running and I just need to add dimensions and descriptions to the paintings.

I would really appreciate any feedback as to how user friendly it is, any ideas about how it could be improved. (Its on a wordpress platform if that means anything to you). How could I use it now to start promoting and selling my work? If you´ve made your website work for you then please let me know how!!

Thanks a bundle!

Oh, and feel free to comment on the artwork too!

Ps: ideas for the "about" bit would be appreciated. Thats probably the hardest part I think!

http://www.benwhittles.com
benwhittles
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Website wobbles

by jeanniezelos » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:52 am

just having a quick look ben - got this on "people watching"

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ELSE in /usr/www/users/mikael/clients/benwhittles/wp-content/themes/blackcanvas_30/archive.php on line 16

seems to be ok now though on 2nd go? nice body of work you've got produced :o) i really like the effects og colours v shapes

text: be good to have descriptions of works beside each for text to speech browsers and i think your font size and colour may be a bit difficult for viwers with visual problems. are you aiming this as a portfolio site or a selling one - if its selling then prices would be good. even as a portfoloi i think description helps and i'm pretty sure google uses text in its search too.
i like the way your pics run along the bottom though i didn't realize at first there was more til i saw scroll function after i'd viewed several pages - i'm more used to a full page screen - might be something to take note of? re jig the placings so its full page perhaps - depends on how you want your site to be - i'm an impatient viewer - i like quick loading and info at one glance.
jeanniezelos
Power User

by benwhittles » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:42 am

Hi Jeannie,

Sorry but I´ve been fiddling with website this morning, so half the time it wouldn´t have been working correctly.

I´ll get back when its working again.

Thanks.

P:S: what do you mean by full screen? Do you mean the website expands to fit the size of your screen automatically??
Last edited by benwhittles on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benwhittles
Forum Newbie

by benwhittles » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:24 pm

Its working as normal, but I still need to improve the navigation I think. What´s the best layout?... click on a category to go to a thumbnail page... or have them posted one below the other like I have? Or a slideshow gallery? or...?
http://www.benwhittles.com
benwhittles
Forum Newbie

by wendypuerto » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi Ben Great work and website, something struck me though. I know it sounds daft but you don't immediately think it is art, I don't mean your work is not art but you don't think it is art for sale,sometimes you need to treat the public as being a bit dim and the obvious needs to be spelt out, maybe by just adding the word Art will draw your attention immediately.
Sorry for talking in riddles but I hope it makes sense.
wendypuerto
Power User

by Toni Watts » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:17 pm

Ben - I really like the website and your work, especially the people with shadows.

If I was a potential customer I would want to know two things - where can I actually see these paintings and how much they are. That information may be there, but it isn't obvious. I think you have to make it easy for people to engage.

I think Jeannie's suggestion of text descriptions is a good one. I haven't done that with mine - I'll make it my next job (thanks Jeannie!)

Toni
Toni Watts
Forum Newbie

by wendypuerto » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks Toni thats exactly what I meant :lol: :lol: :lol:
wendypuerto
Power User

by jeanniezelos » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:36 am

yes - apart from DDA and maybe google you need to assume that people with visual problems can still want art - so text descriptions are good to give tham an idea.
what i mean about full size is more or less as you've put ben - when i open a page everything is on that screen and there's no need to scroll down ( and here i have to say that on my own site when i have long thin paintings you have to scroll down them - something i've been asking son/website manager to do for ages cos i hate that you can't see it all in one go - he'll say don't paint them on long thin canvas!! working in web/IT he tends to take ages to get my stuff updated and its well overdue for revamp - maybe i need to get him to teach me but it and me?? perhaps not.

anyway i just wondered if you had that slideshow strip down one side rather than at base if your page would fit screen? and just having looked at mine - which as i've not been able to paint much for ages i haven't updated or een looked at :oops: :oops: :oops: it does the same as yours with scrolls down side so i am talking rubbish - sorry. somehow though it seems more obvoius on my home site that youneed to scroll down but i didn't notice it on yours til i'd flipped several pages ? have no idea why- sorry. maybe its the balck background? or something/
jeanniezelos
Power User

by benwhittles » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi jeannie,

I´ve been fiddling with the settup on the homepage. It should all fit on one screen now (unless its a particularly tiny screen). When you go to the categories though it posts them in a list... so plenty of scrolling there (but I think it seems obvious).

I´ll get working on those descriptions too.

Thanks!

Ben :P
benwhittles
Forum Newbie