Digital sale of Art

Need a second opinion? Post your work here for constructive criticism...

PostDigital sale of Art

by asha » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:41 pm

I joined Artweb with the not very well researched idea that art would sell via digital images.So far my sales are 0. It could be the images are not interesting enough. It may be that people prefer to buy a canvas, a print or a craft item etc. So now I figure that a more traditional approach is better. Has anyone tried digital sales with consistent success? That would be proof that it can work. I guess I need to do a lot more research. Any advise would be appreciated.
asha
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Digital sale of Art

by michaelrafferty » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:18 pm

your optimism is admirable, but I think you have only opened your site 2 weeks ago. I haven't looked at it; and based on my experiences 14 days is nothing. How many visits have there been to the site. Think about it, how many people go into shops and walk out without buying?
Just a thought. Mick Rafferty
michaelrafferty
Forum Newbie

by asha » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 pm

Thanks Mick, you are correct of course. I got 41 views on one image which I find strange as I thought it was rather nondescript when I uploaded it. I guess it may be a mono-print class doing a project or something. The thing is I believe I got my sales strategy all wrong when I first arrived on Artweb. Now I am going to do them on canvas and sell them as abstracts, the traditional way. With some other changes. Another point I would like to make is that when I first began with them, I posted a few on my facebook page. For some reason most of the figures and faces I capture are towards the darker side. I seem to be pulling up images from the sub-astral. I found this interesting at first but the trend is going on too long now. I want to go on record and state that this is not a reflection of my personal belief system.I would prefer if I was capturing images that were more positive and uplifting. I hope people understand that I am not trying to pass off these mono-prints as fine art or art of a high level. They are just abstract exercises which I saw as a bread and butter line. Thanks for the comment Mick, cheers Alan
asha
Forum Newbie

by helennock » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Alan, re sale of work via internet searches, as Mick says it takes time. It takes even more time for painters and printers because internet competition is vast and growing all the time with artists adept at plugging their work across the internet frequently ...which is how you keep your presence live and moving up the search engine ratings.
There is tonss of info on how to get your work noticed online including artweb pages. This, for a quick search example http://rightbrainrockstar.com/general-advice/16-things-you-can-do-today-to-get-your-artwork-noticed/ gives basics on getting work seen without paying for advertising or online gallery fees. And use busy sites you can create free portfolio's on such as flickr and Saachi.
Update your website regularly to keep it active in searches. Think about the tile of your website and pages. I started my website as Helen Nock....well who the hell is going to look for a name they never new existed...Eventually my presence grew organically out of employing a cross feed of the basics: live exhibitions, regularly supplying gallery outlets; postcard size business cards and social networking.
If you set up Flickr, twitter and Google accounts for example you can set your fb fan page to share on them automatically every time you post, which saves time. Stay active on your fb fan page to keep interest going (something I slip up on) and you eventually gather fans who multiply by sharing amongst each other etc.
Lastly, love what you do and others will too.
helennock
Power User

by helennock » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:05 pm

And excuse my typos ......
helennock
Power User

by asha » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:00 am

You give great advise Helen, I am gonna print this page. I prefer a few typos...Thanks for that, all in good time. Right now getting the actual artwork going along a smarter track is priority. The enjoyable side is getting to know some of you guys.Chow for now...
asha
Forum Newbie