dodgy buyer and avatar help please!

Warn other artists of scammers and share tips on how to stay safe.
Login and post to the Private Forum if you are not 100% sure that you are correct about a scam warning.
Forum rules
Very Important!
* Avoid duplication posts - Please search the forum (e.g. use the potential scammers email address) before posting.
* Login and post to the Private Forum if you are not 100% sure that you are correct about a scam warning.

PostRe: dodgy buyer and avatar help please!

by eliseferguson » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:04 pm

tiffanydurling wrote:Douglas and David, don't send any money to the guy if he says he's sent the cheque for too much

:evil:

Too right Tiffany. Even better, if you've already been in contact with him, email him and say you've decided only to accept paypal not cheques. That always sends the scam merchants running for the hills.

Elise
eliseferguson
Forum Member

by davidgander » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:49 pm

Don't worry Tiffany, I have no intention of sending anything to anyone. It stank of 'scam' from the first line of his email, but I'm just curious as to what he'll do next. I have other businesses that this sort of scammer tries to infiltrate, so I'm by no means new to it. I just find it amazing that they carry on with the same tactics. People must be warned and on their guard however.
davidgander
Forum Newbie

by jeanniezelos » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:56 am

last year - I think - might hVE BEEN YEAR BEFORE I HAD AN ( sorry) austrailan " buyer" we communicated for a while - he'd actually listed all the works he wanted by name - 6 of them...then he said he'd sent a cheque and I said i'd post them on when it cleared. So far so good. Then he said that the cheque would be posted later that week??? but he'd already said it'd been posted so i began to get more susp. Some people won't use payapl - I've had genuine buyers pay by cheque so its not always a con when they offer cheques. anyway i heard nothing further and assumed it was a con - about 6 weeks later on a sat a cheque arrived - for £6000 from something like Comet mastercare - insurance type of thing...and about £5000 too much!! I rang midland bank - it was one of thier cheques and i assumed stilen - they weren't interested - told me to take it to the branch it was issued - i said i'm in n norflok and thats london... oh well take it to youre local branch on monday... they'll pass it on - well i can see that they were'nt bothered about catching perpetrators, so i emailed london met fraud lace - they have a dedicated centre, but got a very sarky reply when i asked what should i do with the cheque - did they want it - no, I should frame it - hang it above pc to remind me not to fall for internet frqaud- was the response :o so i forwarded all emails to my local mp and to sir ian blair who was then head of met. I receieved an apology and was told the person responsible had been given "suitable advice " in customer relations :D I can't find the email address tho... i found it originally via a Met fraud site for internet crime.
jeanniezelos
Power User

by erickakinnear » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:34 am

Hi,
I had a scam like that. I couldn't figure out how it worked, until they said they couldn't manage to send a cheque for the correct amount (out of the country, other person didn't have authority). What they planned to do, was send me a huge cheque, and I was to send the change to their bank. Yeah right.
erickakinnear
Forum Newbie

by davidgander » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:46 am

Yes, the idea is that they send a huge cheque for lots more than you asked for, for whatever flimsy reason. When you send them the money from your account, or even worse, transferred it via Western Union or some such, lo and behold, the cheque they've written you wasn't worth the paper it's written on. Scum.
davidgander
Forum Newbie