pablo thinks artists are stupid people

Warn other artists of scammers and share tips on how to stay safe.
Login and post to the Private Forum if you are not 100% sure that you are correct about a scam warning.
Forum rules
Very Important!
* Avoid duplication posts - Please search the forum (e.g. use the potential scammers email address) before posting.
* Login and post to the Private Forum if you are not 100% sure that you are correct about a scam warning.

Postpablo thinks artists are stupid people

by isabelalfarrobinha » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:30 pm

he sent me the cheque gave me his
    phone number 00447760237989 his "agent" name and address and asked me to send to his agent almost the same amount of the cheque. He must really think im a fool. Now im joking with him, i answered that i will only send money to his agent when the cheque is in my acount. What a crazy person to think someone can fall in such a game. Beware now he usas a code number 025:lol:
    isabelalfarrobinha
    Forum Newbie

PostRe: pablo thinks artists are stupid people

by davidgander » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:32 pm

See the other posts about Parblo here also.

I recieved a cheque from him today too. I emailed him and said I'd only send on the artwork and fee for his shipping agent when the cheque had cleared in my account. To my surprise, he said 'okay'. How does this scam work? If the money has cleared from his cheque into my account, how does he make any money?

Should I pay in the cheque at all?, I wanted to see what would happen next. :?
    davidgander
    Forum Newbie

by eliseferguson » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:30 pm

Often these scams work because you take the cheque to the bank who will "give you value" for it ie you think it's cleared but some time later (maybe even weeks) they discover the cheque is fraudulent then you're stuffed if you've parted with your own cash as "change" or sent off your artwork. I think I read on Jeannie's forum that there was some form of protection against that now but I don't know how it works - I assume it would only protect you if you were to bank a cheque in good faith though.

Guys, I'm not trying to tell you off but have some commonsense here. SCAMMERS ARE CRIMINALS AND FRAUDSTERS. If someone tried to sell you a TV which was obviously stolen would you play them along "to see what happens"? Of course you wouldn't. So why on earth would you even consider engaging with a person you strongly suspected of being an internet scammer never mind trying to play them in some way?? I mean, come on, he has your address now ....... :shock: :roll: :shock:

I think if you've got to the stage of receiving a cheque it might be worth speaking to the police - they'll doubtless tell you there's nothing they can do but I think you're getting into dodgy water here if you start trying to bank cheques you suspect to be fraudulent.

Elise
    eliseferguson
    Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:54 pm

Have nothing to do with them.Don't give them the time of day.Also a cheque can bounce months later if it's stolen,then the bank will take it's money back.
    wendypuerto
    Power User

by davidgander » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:28 am

Yes, you're right, I don't have time to string them along anyway, I don't sit in front of my computer all day. Cheque is now in the bin and his email address(es) blocked.

I wanted to see how far he'd go, much like on this site....http://www.419eater.com/
    davidgander
    Forum Newbie

by isabelalfarrobinha » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:02 pm

[ :evil: i have read your messages and i would like to know how can i prevent him from sending more mails to me :twisted:
    isabelalfarrobinha
    Forum Newbie

by jeanniezelos » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:31 am

isabela, if you look in your email settings somewhere there will be a filter or something that you can set to block out certain emails. I don't bother - just junk any scam emails and never reply. if you stop responding he'll look for a new victim to lure.
    the code wendy mentioned was this below. of course if you bank a cheque expecting it to be ok thats one thing but with ones a dubious as these the bank is going to say you know, or should have known its a fraudulent one so can't expect to get your money back. these people target not just artists but people selling cars, boats caravans etc - once you've given them your cheque and it clears they skip of with the money , close all accounts and traces of themselves and thats the last you'll see of it. been going for ages, I hoped the new bank rule we see an end to it but it still seems to pop up, along with these unfortunate people that have billions of dollars in a nigerian account and no-one to leave it to- but they picked YOU because you seem like an honest person to distribute it the way they want for a percentage worth several hundred thousand dollars...Yeah- right :roll: only this morning i had one from a mrs anita brown.. poor lady has cancer - no family and wants my help to distribute $12,000.000.00 U.S to varoius charities :shock: don't bother with them - just dump them they aren't worth wasting time on :x
    anyway - here's the banking code wendy mentioned, copied from a post on my forum.
    maybe an end to money laundering scams at last... I've mentioned it before but bears bringing up again - there was a change in the law this year - banks have had to tighten up their act with cheque clearance or bear the loss themselves.
    http://www.gotelee.com/news_det.asp?id=3055
    even better - its called the 2-4-6 rule.. interest paid after 2 days, you can draw against it after 4 days and after 6 days it cannot be withdrawn if found to be fraudulent unless the customer ( of the bank) has colluded in the fraud.
    Of course if its a huge loss and someone has accepted a £10000 for a painting of say - £200, then I would think the bank is going to try a test argument to say the customer is at fault for accepting it and try to get that counted as collusion maybe? I don't know - but on the surface it seems like good news for us.
    jeanniezelos
    Power User