Another scam (yawn)

Warn other artists of scammers and share tips on how to stay safe.
Login and post to the Private Forum if you are not 100% sure that you are correct about a scam warning.
Forum rules
Very Important!
* Avoid duplication posts - Please search the forum (e.g. use the potential scammers email address) before posting.
* Login and post to the Private Forum if you are not 100% sure that you are correct about a scam warning.

PostAnother scam (yawn)

by davidraison » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:58 am

Email: peterbill_art01@yahoo.com
------------- Message ------------
Hello to you out there. I am so excited that I came across of your work on internet search,I am interested in purchasing some creative artworks from you let me know their various prices.and how much discounts are you going to give? I will be happy to have these selected artworks hanged in our new home in dublin. As well, I want you to take out the shipping cost.I have been in touch with a shipping firm that will be shipping other house decoratives, We are travelling from our Dallas home to our new apartment as soon as possible.On Paying for the artworks,I will be glad to pay you with a Bank draft or Cashier check in Euro funds that can be easily cashed at your local bank,please let me know on how to proceed, Have a wonderful day..... Take Care, Mr peter bill...
davidraison
Forum Member

PostRe: Another scam (yawn)

by jeanniezelos » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:00 am

as you say - yawn :(
jeanniezelos
Power User

by wendypuerto » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:12 am

Barstewards!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
wendypuerto
Power User

by rebeccabarton » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:19 am

you'd think they would put a bit more effort into it!!
rebeccabarton
Forum Member

by joetymkow » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:09 pm

It makes you wonder how many peope respond and get sucked-in?
joetymkow
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:30 pm

I think that's their angle.If they send out masses of emails the law of averages a handful of people will be trusting enough to reply :evil: :evil: :evil:
wendypuerto
Power User

by BhagatSingh » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:31 pm

how do you know thats a scam?
BhagatSingh
Forum Newbie

by wendypuerto » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:40 pm

After a while there becomes a pattern to these type of email,also networking with others and bits and pieces you pick up along the way give you almost a gut feeling to a genuine buyer and a scammer, although nothing is foolproof and you could actually have these feelings towards someone that might be genuine but it hasn't happened that often thank God :oops: :oops:
wendypuerto
Power User

by jeanniezelos » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:58 am

if you have a flick through the posts on the scam warnings forum you'll see some useful tips and also a pattern that all internet artists need to be familiar with ( in fact anybody that sells anything - these nerds haunt autotrader and other such publications, along with online sales places. )
jeanniezelos
Power User

by marmottan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:32 pm

I am probably naive, but I fail to spot the scam in that? - I hesitate over the transport company use, but is there something else I am missing? As I am in the process of posting a drawing to Holland, having refused to deal with a shipping company, I wonder if I am about to regret that action! Does anyone know if a Luther Lex who scams, or shall I continue with the transaction?
Marmottan :?:
marmottan
Forum Newbie

by wendypuerto » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:28 pm

I don't wish to alarm you but!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_Luthor
wendypuerto
Power User

by jeanniezelos » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:30 am

marmottan i wrote this on another scam post - might help you sort out some scams...

-if your info about artworks is on website they should not need to ask price.
-never give your usual email out to a suspect scammer - use a hotmail account.
-if they mention "beautifying our new home in ..." fairly classic words - leave it alone
-if they suggest arranging shipping themselves along with the carrier that's moving rest of their stuff- forget it -
-if what seems like a simple transaction starts getting complicated - its usually a scam of some sort.

there are lots of places like this forum to check with members - spammers usually send out thousands in one go so its pretty certain someone else will have had one.
if ANYTHING sounds like one of the above scenes and you're not convinced then just run a google of their name/email address or the text in the email (put it in quotes) Personally any of those phrases and i ignore it. had too many now not to recognise the phrasing.

don't let bad grammar put you off tho - there are genuine foreign buyers who may find English difficult - as most of us would for another language

its sad but there are hundreds of thousands of these scams, before dealing with anything other than a straight purchase google the name, the email address, some of the text in quotes, even the IP address if you know how to get it. If nothing odd comes up then proceed carefully...
jeanniezelos
Power User

by wendypuerto » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:21 am

The hotmail email is not always a scam :roll: I interrogated a guy ho bought 2 paintings to send to his friend in the south of France and it turned out he was a genuine buyer I did feel awful after that. :oops: :oops:
wendypuerto
Power User

by Abominog1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:52 am

I have been contacted again by this luther guy, he has emailed after 2 weeks of me saying to him that I will only accept british currency cheques, to go through paypal etc, he has now said he is sending a cheque in american dollars and has even listed where it can be cashed same day, and sent an email address for his shipping company. The email address is federalshipping@gmail.com this is very dodgy as it is not a legitimate shipping email address. When the cheque comes I will send it back and refuse to deal with him. He has contacted quite a few people on this site as I have now read....
Abominog1
Forum Newbie

by wendypuerto » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:12 am

If it were me I would have nothing more to do with them.
wendypuerto
Power User