Another scam (yawn)

Warn other artists of scammers and share tips on how to stay safe.
Login and post to the Private Forum if you are not 100% sure that you are correct about a scam warning.
Forum rules
Very Important!
* Avoid duplication posts - Please search the forum (e.g. use the potential scammers email address) before posting.
* Login and post to the Private Forum if you are not 100% sure that you are correct about a scam warning.

PostRe: Another scam (yawn)

by Abominog1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:22 am

It will be interesting to see if the cheque does arrive and what will happen if I dont cash it. It has been 2 weeks since he first contacted me. Will let you all know the outcome

Cheers
Abominog1
Forum Newbie

by wendypuerto » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:51 am

You are still getting involved by receiving it, pass it on to the fraud squad.
wendypuerto
Power User

by Abominog1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:56 am

If i return it back uncashed is this still being involved,...... I still have to see the cheque as yet, not sure he will send it.

Cheers
Abominog1
Forum Newbie

by jeanniezelos » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:59 am

I had this scenario ages ago when i first started and wasn't wise to these scams - the guy in question wanted works shipped to Australia it was slightly dif in that i was to arrange posting and he named specific paintings - but he did want an awful lot of info from me like my phone number and personal info which i wouldn't give and i thought that was the end of it - i'd got suspicious by then so stopped emails - then a month later the cheque arrived - no message, just the cheque - i know now that if I'd cashed it it would have cleared and he'd have asked for me to send him the balance He'd say it would have been done in error by accountants or some such...then once he had my money the cheque would be returned by the bank and i'd be out of pocket..- the cheque ( a british midland bank one) was for £6000 for paintings worth 700....i contacted london met fraud dept - they wanted the emails and headers but just said dump the cheque

if you want to do something contact the met and see if they're interested - they have an internet fraud section - but don't be tempted by the "what will happen if i cash the cheque" - you KNOW its going to be dodgy and you'll end up out of pocket. usually they say take an extra hundred/two hundred or so to make up for your time and trouble and thats when people get tempted by the thought of money for doing very little - don't do it.
jeanniezelos
Power User

by Abominog1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:05 am

thanks very much for the info. I think I will ignore any emails from now on.If he continues to contact I will go to the Police and see iwhat they say to it. After reading all emails on this site, this Luthor person seems to be well known with everybody

Thanks again
Abominog1
Forum Newbie

by marmottan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:50 am

Thank you all for the advice. I realised Leo Luther was a scammer in his third email, when he announced he was on vacation in Nigeria - loud bells clanging - and would I send it there, please, and give him my telephone number and address for easy contact. Yeah right!

If after all this he was a genuine buyer, ah well - some lessons come harder than others.

Gratefully, and less naively now, :oops:
Marmottan
marmottan
Forum Newbie

by Abominog1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:59 am

I have received another email yesterday asking if I had received the cheque yet. I also emailed the so called courier, the email that Leo Luther had sent. ( Please be aware that after finding out their address, they also run a Lottery Scam. I have also received a letter from their company now advising I have won 8 million euros on the lotto, and can contact them to claim my funds and that they do take 10% of the winnings for their trouble !!!!.)
They returned the email advising that he is a client of theirs and they want to know if I am ready to send them the money so they can collect the "work" that Leo is buying!!

I have advised twice now to Leo that I dont want to deal with him and that everything is a scam and if he was genuine we would have done the transactions via paypal. He just ignores these emails.

He is well known now on this site... be aware of him

Thanks
Abominog1
Forum Newbie

by marmottan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:18 pm

Phew! - the more I hear, the more I realise that one's instincts should be followed, particularly on the web. What a (b)anker

Thank you one and all again,

Marmottan :)
marmottan
Forum Newbie