Scam or not?

Warn other artists of scammers and share tips on how to stay safe.
Login and post to the Private Forum if you are not 100% sure that you are correct about a scam warning.
Forum rules
Very Important!
* Avoid duplication posts - Please search the forum (e.g. use the potential scammers email address) before posting.
* Login and post to the Private Forum if you are not 100% sure that you are correct about a scam warning.

PostScam or not?

by omors5 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:33 am

Any of you had something like this that turned out to be a scam..it just doesn't sound right to me as it has nothing to do with my art:

Dear Site Owner,
I recently came across your website and believe we may share similar interests. I represent a company that owns and operates a successful and well-respected games-related website. My client is interested in purchasing advertising on your website and would very much like to discuss this possibility with you. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so we may explore our options.
Kind Regards,
Maria Bello
omors5
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Scam or not?

by Abominog1 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:46 am

I received an exact email last week, but it was from a "Josh Hall", sounds tempting, but I advise leave well alone
Abominog1
Forum Newbie

by omors5 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:41 am

omors5 wrote:Any of you had something like this that turned out to be a scam..it just doesn't sound right to me as it has nothing to do with my art:

Dear Site Owner,
I recently came across your website and believe we may share similar interests. I represent a company that owns and operates a successful and well-respected games-related website. My client is interested in purchasing advertising on your website and would very much like to discuss this possibility with you. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so we may explore our options.
Kind Regards,
Maria Bello
omors5
Forum Newbie

by wendypuerto » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:49 am

Yes I received the very same and just deleted it :roll:
wendypuerto
Power User

by jeanniezelos » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:51 am

do you want to sell art or do you want to just have an advertising site? if its the first then you won't want anything like those ads on your site - you might get 50 - maybe 100 dollars but google is going to look at it and the fat that you're selling art and give you a big no no. Is a few dollars worth risking your sites popularity?
dump it and any similar stuff, link triangles, etc keep your ads/links art related
jeanniezelos
Power User