Anyone come across this- bla bla bla

Warn other artists of scammers and share tips on how to stay safe.
Login and post to the Private Forum if you are not 100% sure that you are correct about a scam warning.
Forum rules
Very Important!
* Avoid duplication posts - Please search the forum (e.g. use the potential scammers email address) before posting.
* Login and post to the Private Forum if you are not 100% sure that you are correct about a scam warning.

PostAnyone come across this- bla bla bla

by michelleanderson » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:20 pm

Email: michael@findthemissinglink.co.uk
------------- Message ------------
Hello Michelle,
I was just looking at your Artwork, and have been dazzled by your elegant creations. This may sound strange to you, but I have set myself the task of broadening the Nation's horizons, letting the Nation know that Dreams can become reality. If you enjoy what you do, then nothing should stop you following that path. I believe that without dreams there is no conciousness, and that Inspiration is the key to release the shackles of m[color=#000000]
onotany. [/color]
What is this all about? It goes on and on about some pseudospiritual thing and then asks if I want to link to a website? :?:
michelleanderson
Forum Member

PostRe: Anyone come across this- bla bla bla

by darrenbaxter » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:48 pm

yeah, i had the same e-mail. i checked out the website but you have to pay to have youre website linked, i think it was about £1 a day. seems a bit pointless

Darren

http://www.dbgallery.co.uk
darrenbaxter
Forum Newbie

by soniabublaitis » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:36 pm

Yeah I had the same mail the other day and promptly deleted it!
soniabublaitis
Junior Forum Member

by brianpetrie » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:18 pm

How come I never got one ??? :D
brianpetrie
Forum Member

by michelleanderson » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:20 pm

Aw, dont feel left out Brian, tell you what, I`ll pass on your contact details if you like! :lol:
michelleanderson
Forum Member

by marmottan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:00 am

I also deleted promptly. In fact, the only emails I have had in reponse to my website in almost a year are scams, whereas I have sold 15 paintings in local exhibitions in the same period. This one is clearly a 'marketing tool', or the poor guy is going to impair his eyesight by being so regularly dazzled!
Marmottan
marmottan
Forum Newbie

by MichaelWard » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:54 pm

Hello all, I am the one who has been sending the emails, (michael ward, michael@findthemissinglink.co.uk) and it is not some kind of scam as you suggest, it is a website desinged to promote unknown artists, singers etc.
Yes I did send an OTT flattering email, but I do not have time to individually tailor an email to each artist that I wanted to contact, surely you are not too blinded with scepticim to see that.
The website will only work if I can generate a prize pool that people will actually want to win.

There is a stigma attached to artist websites, the general public sees them as pretentious and only for the elite, so I am trying to dispel this with the lure of prizes, and let them enjoy the talents that are on offer.

You have questioned my eyesight, but the fact is that if you (Darren) could read as well as you can draw then you would have seen that it is just £1 a month, not per day as claimed.
This money goes towards the prize pool which is the lure to get people in to view your work, and possibly generate sales.
As you have already said "...the only emails I have had in reponse to my website in almost a year are scams"
So is it not time to try another way of marketing yourself?
The website is quirky, so instantly presses home the importance if individuality.

If you have any questions about my website (http://www.findthemissinglink.co.uk)
then please ask.

Regards

Michael
MichaelWard
Forum Newbie

by darrenbaxter » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:34 pm

Sorry Michael, my bad.

http://www.dbgallery.co.uk
darrenbaxter
Forum Newbie

by jeanniezelos » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:23 am

Michael - maybe i'm just having a muppet moment but I cannot see any connection to art and artists in your site - it just looks like a gameshow. where is the artwork - or even the link to it?

what is it that someone actually gets for their £12 a year?
how is having a link on your site going to actually promote their work?

i'm not sniping but genuinely cannot see any connection to art or point in artist paying to "link" to your site - i can't even see a links page..

If its just a link swapping exercise i think although it may help in a small way google has long since moved on from links being very important - what i do know is that a link to a game/competition site isn't much use to an artist and links to sites that are not relevant can be penalised by google. Its quality of links not quantity that counts.

btw - mass marketing emails are always regarded with scepticism - sadly if you were an artist you'd know why - we get loads of them :cry: if you want someone to read your emial then how long does it take to look at a site and make it a bit personal? If you haven't time for that then you shouldn't be contacting and hoping an artist is going to take time to look beyond a clearly mass marketed email either. we've not time to check out each one just in case its not a scam - that's why we use forums and if more than one receives an identical email we instantly assume its a scam, because 99.9999% it is. .
jeanniezelos
Power User

by MichaelWard » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:15 pm

Hi Jeannie,
The reason for my site not looking like a run of the mill artist gallery is because I want to break the mould, and appeal to a wider market than just the usual art viewing minority. To make the masses go on a journey through the creative arts and expand their horizons.

Find the missing Link is about finding undiscovered talents, finding treasures and of course finding the 'mising link'.

It is a 'game' where the user is searching through the pop-up 'links' looking for 'the missing link', if they find this 'missing link' (the yeti on either a selected artist's website, or on it's own page) then they win a prize/cash.
This means that the user has to view the artist's websites to check for the 'missing link', so if your Artwork is eye-catching the user will check out your gallery. The increased amount of viewers of your artwork means that you are exposed to a greater audience and therefore have more chance of making a sale.

Considering the complaints about the lack of sales generated by conventional means of art advertising it seems strange that you are so unwilling to contemplate trying something different.

Find the missing link is held together by the mini-games, which are just to mildy amuse the user while they search through the links.
The mini-games are played by clicking on different squares in the 'game window', each click generates a random pop-up artist link, and reveals a 'mini-game' action. The 'mini-games' are just for fun. Some of the games have a slightly satirical nature.

You can see the popularity of sites such as stumbleupon, so surely a site where you can randomly discover amazing talent and also Win prizes can only be a good thing.

The mini-games will become more detailed as time progresses, when I have a chance to get creative.

Other parts under construction are an 'Artist of the Week/Month' page, where you get to learn a bit more about a featured artist, their inspirations etc, and a voting section to vote on your favourite talents that you have discovered.(the winner of the vote having a showcase page, for one month).

I am sorry for the long reply,

Michael

The link building google factor is only a secondary factor to being part of
http://www.findthemissinglink.co.uk
MichaelWard
Forum Newbie

by jeanniezelos » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:38 am

Thanks Michael - I understand a bit more about what you are trying to do now. :) I have to say though that its very optimistic of you to think art buyers will play a game and search out artworks? I could be wrong but as I understand it web sales are based on getting the artwork in front of the viewer/customer as soon as possible - i just can't see someone looking to buy playing a game first even with a financial incentive.

Relating it to other purchases I make on the web I search google for the relevant request and click on sites i think likely - if i want a pair of (topical!) snow boots I'm going to click on sites that show them not one that asks me to play a game first even with the money incentive.Even sites that are slow to load or say "click here to enter " get my no no if there are other ones that are quick. Sorry - i don't mean to sound negative but just explaining my reasoning and why i won't be risking my money (if i'd been invited) with you. £12 a year may not sound much, but added to all the other money we spend on ads it collectively adds up and so i want to put my money where i think it will best bring result.
i wish you luck though - i'l be happy to be proved wrong :)
jeanniezelos
Power User

by MichaelWard » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi again,
The 'art buyers' that you are talking about are few and far between, as has been shown by Marmottan's post. So my site is geared up to interest the general public, widening the the range of viewers for your site.
It is not neccessarily for users in search of art work, more for the user to taken to places they would not normally view, or have knowledge of.
As the popularity of 'stumpleupon' shows people love variation in the sites they see, and enjoy it when they stumble upon hidden gems.

As the number of links on my site grows, the less likely the user is to find the 'missing links', so the journey becomes the prior importance, that is why I decided to use sites that are creative, so that viewing the sites is a pleasure rather than a chore.

We all know that while most people are at work and bored they go on the internet to 'waste' time, if they then find a site (like mine) where their interest is maintained, then they will keep coming back as long as they keep finding new treasures. If your site is added as a link (and the link is to a particular piece of art or specific gallery of yours) then you have the chance to turn that viewer into a customer. There are many procrastinators with disposable incomes, so catching their eye is of vital importance.
If an impact has been made then the user will remember the site (obviously by bookmarking it!) when the time comes to buying someone those special gifts (milestones, anniversaries, weddings, birthdays etc).

The subject of the £12 a year has been thought about greatly, This is the figure at the moment because the prize pool will be split into monthly prizes. If the yearly fee was much less than this then Paypal would be taking away a lot more of the prize pool (as there is a flat fee per transaction and percentage of total sale price).
I understand that the success of my site is a gamble for you, but the 12 month period will not start until a decent prize pool is attained (until then the links will still be present on site). Even if over the year my site only generates you one sale it still makes it well worth the £12 investment.

I am contemplating changing the £12 flat fee to a donate what you can afford, this would mean that there would have to be a far greater number of artists on the site to generate an attractive prize pool. It would also mean that potentially there would be a lot more competition generating sales.

Please let me know what you think about this idea.

Michael

BTW you do not have to be invited to become a link, I obviously don't have the time to carefully hand select all applicable candidates.
(please forgive any spelling mistakes you may see in this post)
MichaelWard
Forum Newbie

by wendypuerto » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:36 pm

Good luck with the venture :) It is not for everone but then variety and all that is what makes life more interesting.
wendypuerto
Power User

by MichaelWard » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:55 pm

Thank you Wendy.

Stumbleupon
- http://www.stumbleupon.com/
MichaelWard
Forum Newbie

by yummymummy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:51 am

1st post... :D

The average attention span of internet browsers is less than 10 seconds for a page-load. Given that this is the case, what makes you think that serious seekers of art are going to continue to trawl the website via various "games" to find what they want especially if you are generating "random" returns?

Can you imagine how long McDonalds would have been in business if, when you were hungry and wanting to buy a burger, you had to find your way to the counter by stopping at all the tables and "hoping" that you would get the "go to the counter" result you needed? I think there'd be a lot of people giving up and going to Burger King!!

If on the other hand, your intention is to amuse people at work, or build a fun but timewasting website, why try and tie in art......as a marketing opportunity for art, I just acnnot see it working, and if you'll excuse me being forthright, I think you need to go back and rewrite your business plan to unclude a SWOT analysis. I think it will help you clarify the strategic direction of your site.
yummymummy
Forum Newbie