Brick Lane Gallery

Warn other artists of scammers and share tips on how to stay safe.
Login and post to the Private Forum if you are not 100% sure that you are correct about a scam warning.
Forum rules
Very Important!
* Avoid duplication posts - Please search the forum (e.g. use the potential scammers email address) before posting.
* Login and post to the Private Forum if you are not 100% sure that you are correct about a scam warning.

PostBrick Lane Gallery

by sbergener » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi, I just got an e-mail from the Brick Lane Gallery telling me they saw my work on Wooloo.org and they asked me if I wanted to exhibit at the gallery. I know I have to pay, but I live in NY. Does anyone have experience with this gallery or know anything about the gallery. I went online to check it out and it looks ok but it appears to be a very small gallery. It would be a big expense but if it was worth it I'd give it a shot.
thanks, Stacy
sbergener
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Brick Lane Gallery

by thelighthousekeeper » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi There

I had an exhibition there 3 years ago, it is a very small gallery and very expensive, there weren't many visitors and I didn't sell any work. But I suppose the decision is yours.

Cheers
thelighthousekeeper
Forum Newbie

by joetymkow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:04 pm

Yes it is a genuine gallery, but as stated quite expensive and small.

Regarding submitting work it depends very much on timing; for instance at the beginning of each month in East London there is a general galleries event called 'First Thursdays' : http://www.firstthursdays.co.uk/ . If you look at the map on the website you will get an idea of the number of venues which take part. On the whole they stay open till 9pm, some even later.

I've considered the Brick Lane Gallery but my artwork is a bit too big 220cm canvases!

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide. Joe
joetymkow
Forum Member

by alexanderkorzerrobin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:17 pm

Here is a link that should be quite informative:

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/97779-The-B ... ery-London

As a general rule, paying a gallery to exhibit your work is a mistake. There are a lot of those schemes about and it's not the artists who benefit from it.

A commercial gallery selects work on its quality, and the gallery's assumptions if they can sell the work. They earn money by charging a comission for work sold. If the artist pays the gallery upfront, just to show the work, the gallery has no incentive to sell the work. In fact the less money and resources they spend in promoting the artist, the higher their gain will be. It's a racket to make money by exploiting emerging artists desperate to have their work shown.
No one of influence in the "art world" will attend shows at those "vanity galleries". You might sell your work if you are very lucky, but you probably won't.

The same goes for a most of the online "galleries" that charge you (albeit) smaller amounts to show your work with them.
alexanderkorzerrobin
Forum Newbie

by sbergener » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Thank you all for your replies regarding the Brick Lane gallery. It is all very helpful and I agree that if you pay to exhibit at a gallery there is no incentive for the gallery to actively promote you.
I guess it's back to the drawing board!
Thanks all, Stacy
sbergener
Forum Newbie