Possible scam?

Warn other artists of scammers and share tips on how to stay safe.
Login and post to the Private Forum if you are not 100% sure that you are correct about a scam warning.
Forum rules
Very Important!
* Avoid duplication posts - Please search the forum (e.g. use the potential scammers email address) before posting.
* Login and post to the Private Forum if you are not 100% sure that you are correct about a scam warning.

PostPossible scam?

by janesullivan » Mon May 11, 2015 1:32 pm

Hi I have been contacted by someone called Jaime Franco about buying some art. I thought it odd that they wanted me to confirm prices which are clearly stated on my website. Now they are insisting on paying by foreign cheque...which means hassle...their English is terrible ...and they are allegedly on holiday in Kenya. It may be legit but warning bells are ringing...and it's a gmail account... What do you think?
janesullivan
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Possible scam?

by michaelrafferty » Mon May 11, 2015 2:19 pm

I too have been contacted by Jaime Franco, with identical story etc. I see no reason to be suspicious. His cheque is in the post and I needn't part with work till cheque has cleared, so I see no need to be suspicious, if it's a scam it isn't a very good one. Mick Rafferty
michaelrafferty
Forum Newbie

by michaelrafferty » Mon May 11, 2015 2:22 pm

yes, their English isn't perfect.....have you seen my Swedish? How's yours?
michaelrafferty
Forum Newbie

by janesullivan » Mon May 11, 2015 4:25 pm

I know a lot of Swedish people who speak and write excellent English. That is not really the issue ...everything g else is adding up to make me concerned. The nature of the emails is just raising my level of doubt.
janesullivan
Forum Newbie

by janesullivan » Mon May 11, 2015 7:28 pm

yes i was thinking the same although someone has warned me that the cheques often bounce- but as you say you don't need to part with the good until the cheque has cleared. It may just be someone scaremongering that got me worried. i will see what happens and make a decision on that basis. Has your contact all been in the last week?
janesullivan
Forum Newbie

by jacqlebreton » Tue May 12, 2015 6:46 am

I have also been contacted by same person, also on vacation in Kenya. I checked out his address on google street maps and found it straight away, so wasn't concerned. However, now that I learn he seems to be multi-purchasing and wont deal via Paypal im a little concerned too. Fingers crossed. He wont be getting artwork til payment is cleared anyhow.
jacqlebreton
Forum Newbie

by janesullivan » Tue May 12, 2015 7:56 am

One of my friends lives in Sweden and says the address is actually bogus.... A Torg is just the Swedish for square of which there are many....so we have a number but no specified square . I think it's a bit weird and unfortunately looking more and more like a scam.
janesullivan
Forum Newbie

by jacqlebreton » Tue May 12, 2015 8:43 am

just phoned my bank. a foreign cheque can take 6 to 8 weeks to clear. im gonna contact him again and say paypal or no deal. keep me informed m8
jacqlebreton
Forum Newbie

by admin » Wed May 13, 2015 4:02 pm

Hi all.

Yes Jaime Franco is a scammer indeed. Be warned DO NOT send him any money or any of your works. He's currently using the email address: jmrobert2892@gmail.com

We sent an email to anyone he contacted. Also we blocked him from Artweb. He should not be able to use the contact forms anymore from the IP address he used.

In short he will eventually offer to buy the work and pay/arrange for the shipment to a foreign country. He will then overpay BUT ask for a refund of the difference to be wired to his account. Needless to say the money he has supposedly paid entering your account is from a stolen credit card and will disappear as fast as it arrives.....You will however not be able to recover your money.

As usual please use caution when dealing with unusual emails such as this. In particular we suggest you read (and re-read!) our blog post on identifying fraudulent enquiries, as scam emails often have certain tell tale signs:
http://blog.artweb.com/how-to/art_scam_email/

Best Regards,
Chris Kirkland and all at ArtWeb.com
admin
Site Admin

by janesullivan » Wed May 13, 2015 5:20 pm

i have just received the cheque from him for Euro 3900! so i am taking the cheque to the police station as it's clearly stolen.....and i am assuming his next steps will be to ask me to write him a cheque for the difference.

thanks for confirming Chris - although as soon as i opened it, it was pretty obvious what he's up to.

Jane.
janesullivan
Forum Newbie

by michaelrafferty » Wed May 13, 2015 7:13 pm

hello, this has been an interesting episode! I too received a cheque this morning from Bank of Ireland for a ridiculous amount of money ( in euros ). No enclosed explanation. So visited my Santander bank, they advised that the cheque appeared questionable, advised me not to pay it in and then discovered that the particular Bank of Ireland branch is now an H&M outlet !!!
Suppose we are all slightly vain, easily flattered by someone liking our work. It's frailties like that these criminals depend on.
I do think, wonder, .....some people might speculate that painters could be scammers / con artists. Makes you think????
I do occasionally accept that it's a wonderful act of faith that we can sell our art at a distance / unseen. Not sure I would. In a world of crooks and scammers how trusted can "distance selling protocols" really be?
michaelrafferty
Forum Newbie