My Website

If you are not a regular member of the forum i.e. this is one of your first posts and you post a link to some external website, please be honest and post in this section.

PostMy Website

by Joee » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:11 pm

Not sure If This is allowed in here...if it isnt...let me know and I'll delete it :)

http://www.joemcfadden.page.tl
Joseph McFadden
Botanical Watercolors,Sketches and More
Joee
Junior Forum Member

PostRe: My Website

by Bringer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi Joe,

I took a look at your website and found it easy to navigate and fast, which are two really positive things.
Its layout could be a bit more "portfolio type", but still takes a positive note.
The only negative aspects are the fact that links don't open in a new window, thus closing your website - of course that you're not obligated to agree with me :-) - and the advertsing on top, which might be somewhat ok if it were art related.

Take care,

José
Bringer
Junior Forum Member

by Joee » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:05 pm

Im only just seeing your message :O

The advertisements cant be changed sadly :( its just whats advertised :P

Ill take your other suggestions also.

Thanks for your feedback.
Joseph McFadden
Joee
Junior Forum Member

by jeanniezelos » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:54 am

Hi Joee, i like the site's overall look (not that ad though and watch out cos i think non related ads can affect your google rating - need to check that though, don't take my word for it)
The images though: they are not photographed well enough. Sorry. But even the large images are blurry and i can see that many of them have not been cropped properly or have camera shadows on them. You need to have the best sharpest images possible for the web, otherwise it just doesn't look professional - and as there are so many galleries around you have to make yours up to standard to keep people looking.
sorry if that sounds harsh - its not meant as that but as well meaning genuine advice. If i was looking to buy art i wouldn't stay on your site simply because the images aren't good enough to tell me how the paintings are. When i first opened a website back in - gosh- 2003 i think :oops: my gallery looked exactly like yours in that i had improperly cropped images, camera shadow, out of focus pics cos i didn't have a good enough camera ( editing can only do so much, you need a good sharp image to start) i even had one i'd photo AFTER it had been framed - yu can imagine what tyhat looked like.
I'm sure there's tips on how to photograph your work on here somewhere. If i can find them i'll link to them, and if you need any help/advice just ask cos there are lots of people here to help.

Now...practise what i preach :oops: if you look at my home site you'll see all the things that aren't good about my images, some because son played around with resizing and then i didn't like it...so he changed it back but i haven't yet reuploaded all the images in the right size. others cos frankly they are early works i no longer like and want a delete button so i can remove them but...son work in IT and can i get him to do the promised revamp along with delete button?? yep, you;ve guessed - i'm still waiting.
jeanniezelos
Power User

by jamarick » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:31 am

Hi joee

Have to agree with Jeannie on that one unfortunately the photo's let your otherwise good site down.
Here's a few tips
1 always use natural light where ever possible or a twin flash off the camera to give neutral flat lighting
2 always use a tripod or solid support for your camera and the timer release if you have one. This is important because (a) you can get out of the way and avoid ugly shadows (b) there is no chance of camera shake.
3 make sure the camera lense is focused only on the painting and placed square onto the image. Even if you crop the picture slightly it is better than having distracting backgrounds or frames.
4 make sure the picture is in crisp focus
5 use as high a megapixel camera as you can 5mp plus
6 select a slowish speed ie around 100 asa and set your camera at the best quality image it will allow.
7 If you can scan the picture rather than photograph it do so.
8 If you have the software ( most cameras come with this or it is likely you have a basic photo editor on your windows system) tweek the image colours to brighten them up a little before downloading to your site, as I've found they can look a little dull on screen compared to the origional.
You can also crop at this stage if you have included any unwanted background.

I hope these points help you and maybe anyone else who is having difficulties. Lets face it we all want our work to look it's best if we want to make sales or encourage commissions.

Rick

http://www.jamarick-art.co.uk
jamarick
Forum Newbie

by jeanniezelos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:14 am

I don't have a tripod, but what i have found works is to lay the painting flat on the ground ( pref outside avoiding bright sun or cloud shadows) and stand over it looking down. I take loads if pics and then just use the best - beauty of digicameras.
also, always try to get your pics before varnishing as the shine from varnish can make white spots on your pic.
jeanniezelos
Power User

by suemclearie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi Joee,

I do the same as Jeannie
lay the painting flat on the ground ( pref outside avoiding bright sun or cloud shadows) and stand over it looking down.
and am quite happy with my site photo's.
I've advertised with The Craftsman Magazine a couple of times too and I'm sure if the images weren't good enough they'd have let me know.
Good luck!

Sue
http://www.suemclearie.co.uk
PAWS by Sue McLearie
(Paper and Wire Sculptures)
suemclearie
Forum Member

by Joee » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:21 pm

Heyy!
Thanks for the load of tips :)
Ill need to get to taking pictures then...I didnt originally intend to have a website and be in contact with such good artists :)
Glad I did upload the bad ones though! Time to move it up a notch now though !
Photoshop here i come :D
Joseph McFadden
Joee
Junior Forum Member

by helennock » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:58 pm

Hi Joee, Some great tips here, and reminders.
I have a tripod but a bit lazy about using it though I know it makes sense. Didn't know about slower ASA on digis...must try that.
Sometimes I can take over 100 shots of one work in different lights and situations and still need to take more.
I always remember what an old tutor of mine said when I'm cutting corners on presention, 'You wouldn't advertise a pleasure flight on a chalked up board at the side of the road like someone selling bags of manure'!
:shock:
helennock
Power User