help!

If you are not a regular member of the forum i.e. this is one of your first posts and you post a link to some external website, please be honest and post in this section.

Posthelp!

by tiffanydurling » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:31 pm

Hi all, I had 2 emails today, from paypal saying i have successfully cancelled my subscription to TAW!!
:shock: [and that my credit card has expired, - it hasn't]

I've set the wheels in motion to try to solve and sort the problem, but has anyone else had this happen to them? It's been fine the last 3 years, what the cotton picking is going on?!!
:mrgreen:

Tiffany
tiffanydurling
Forum Member

PostRe: help!

by wendypuerto » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:24 pm

They could be spoof emails just trying to get you to click on the link in the email which then gives them informaton about your account.

If paypal email you they usually address the email with your name at the beginning of the email.

Never use links within the email but always open your account in a new internet explorer or whatever system you use window.
wendypuerto
Power User

by helennock » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:32 am

That's right. Don't ever open anything your not sure of from your emails.
and..
Whilst I'm browsing the forum my Kaspersky security is flagging up Trojan script Heur on TAW frameset true admin index ???????
helennock
Power User

by tiffanydurling » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:06 pm

Oooer Helen I hope it's not catching!!

Thanks for the advice Wendy and Helen
I'm a little worried it was fraud stuff but i changed my password in case.
It's pretty much sorted, I think, to do with me not connecting my bank account to it properly.

techno techno :mrgreen: :oops:
tiffanydurling
Forum Member

by helennock » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:31 pm

Forwarned at least Tiff. Spammers are getting really clever and convincing. We only open mail from our pp account now. Had loads posing as Paypal notifcations.
helennock
Power User

by lizmurfitt » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi Tiffany,

I had a similar experience last month i.e 3 emails from PayPal stating they couldn't make payment because my card had expired (which it hadn't) and that they would try to make payment again on a particular date. after their 3rd attempt I received an email from them or TAW (can't remember which) saying I had cancelled my payment/subscription (which I hadn't). This was very strange as I made other payments via PayPal during this period with no problems. I put it down to the fact that TAW was experiencing major problems at the time.

None of the emails had the appearance of a phishing email, though I logged on to PayPal through their website rather than any link in the email just in case. I was intending to contact admin anyway, as my subscription still hasn't been paid, but I think now I will also contact PayPal as the problem is obviously ongoing.

On the subject of phishing emails, of which I've had countless numbers, I always forward them on to the relevant company before deleting them. The address for forwarding suspicious emails can usually be found in the said company's safety or security centre, and is always a stand alone computer, for PayPal the address is [url]spoof@paypal.com[/url]. The following is a portion of the reply I received after forwarding one such email to PayPal:

"Thanks for forwarding that suspicious-looking email. You're right - it
was a phishing attempt, and we're working on stopping the fraud. By
reporting the problem, you've made a difference!"

Liz.

http://www.lizmurfitt.co.uk/
lizmurfitt
Junior Forum Member

by tiffanydurling » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Wow, thanks Liz,

that sounds exactly the same as mine! I can't contact paypal for love nor money to query the cancellation thing. I'm worried now that they diddled me as i entered a new card and they took a £1 out of my account. [as part of the set up] Hope that bit's genuine.
:shock:
Apparently I'll get the £1 back after. I thought about forwarding the emails on incase they're spam, not sure how to do it but I'll have a go now though.
tiffanydurling
Forum Member

by lizmurfitt » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:46 pm

Hi Tiffany,

I've just managed to contact PayPal by phone and found out the reason why my subscription was cancelled: the card that it had been set up on had expired. The emails were genuine (I thought they were) spoof emails tend to start "Dear customer" rather than refer to you by name. You have to set up a new subscription within TAW - I think it's probably easier to pay one year at a time! as I assume the problem will occur again when the current card expires. I suspect that's probably the reason your subscription was cancelled too.

With regards to spoof or phishing emails though - if you think they are suspicious i.e. start "Dear customer", ask you to login via a link within the email etc etc just click on "Forward" (on the picture toolbar near the top of the email and then type in the address e.g. spoof@paypal.com if it's purporting to come from PayPal. The one I forwarded was easy to spot:

"Dear customer,
Your account has been temporarily limited
Click Here to resolve the problem
Thank You."

but I've also had loads from various banks and building societies (some of which I've never had dealings with) but some can sound really genuine which is very worrying - one I received, (supposedly) from a bank that I do have an account with, stated that unauthorised activity had been noticed on my account, I immediately recognised it as a phishing email and forwarded it to the banks spoof email address, but I can see how easy it is for people to be taken in by this sort of thing.

Liz.
lizmurfitt
Junior Forum Member

by helennock » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:15 pm

Another safety tip....you know those forwards, the round robins of jokes, games, name to good causes, and send this to a friend or else! If you do send on, make sure to delete all the attached email addresses because, apparently, it great way for spammers to scoop our addresses and other personal info.
helennock
Power User

by jeanniezelos » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:50 am

i always report spoof emails to releveant company if i can find an address on their site - some don't make it easy - its my way of trying to get a few spammers stopped at source.
spoof@ebay.co.uk is another address thats useful - i've always had contact back like whoever it was posted here to say thanks and we're working to disable this one.
if we all do it then a substantial number will get stopped, drop in the ocean but i live in hope :lol:
jeanniezelos
Power User

by tiffanydurling » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:16 pm

Update time, they were genuine emails from paypal, to do with card and the yearly thing, I've fully completed my bank set up now.
:mrgreen:

perhaps they need to make things a tad simpler hey?
Liz I am so impressed you spoke to an actual person from paypal I tried for ages and it was all automated and they were international numbers.

I forwarded my emails just incase but they don't seem suspicious, but paypal are asking me to send the headers and other stuff that I don't quite get!!
:oops: :roll:
tiffanydurling
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:34 pm

Paypal have never asked for headers and footers from me when I have sent to spoof@paypal.co.uk so do go carefully.They usually just reply with a thankyou and it is people that do this really does help weedle out the spammers and hackers.

Just always make sure it definitely is paypal you a dealing with with the secure padlock in a seperate internet window if your gut feeling is suspicious go with it and double check everything.

If you get an email they always address you with your name and if your account says it has been limited and you know it has not gone over the amount you are allowed to hold on there it usually is a spoof.
wendypuerto
Power User

by tiffanydurling » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:49 pm

Thanks Wendy and Jeanie, Liz and Helen,
it was from ebay the request for a header, I think because I was not in my gmail went I sent it first, but in my igoogle homepage.
it was addressed to dear artist, and there was no link to click onto. I think I'm safe but I will keep an eye out!!

have a great weekend
xx
tiffanydurling
Forum Member

by jeanniezelos » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:04 am

when i had dud cheque few years back from someone wanting 7 pics sent to Australia ( £6000 for art worth 800 - with cheque from "mastercare insurance" not my customers name :) just take an extra 100 for your trouble and forward the balance to my shippers - yeah right!) i reported it to London Met fraud dept who wanted headers so they could trace where emails originated. all you do is open the email, go to "view" and under headers tick "view all" - usually you've got "normal" ticked- it'll then show the route the email has taken to get to you - what servers etc and helps them trace it. i always inc them when i forward on as its useful info for them to work on to stop more coming from that address and IP.
you can just change back once its done else all your emails will have headers attached!
jeanniezelos
Power User