just getting started

If you are not a regular member of the forum i.e. this is one of your first posts and you post a link to some external website, please be honest and post in this section.

Postjust getting started

by LBrown » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi everyone, i am new to the art selling world, i have one painting up for sale and a second is nearly complete to also put up for sale (it should be done this weekend) i was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make the profits and bring in the buyers, people sometimes comment about my work on facebook but there never seems to be any people interested in buying or commissions. I have a facebook page and people do help me but the reson i got the page was to help me get going on business but it hasn't worked very well :(
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lauren-Browns-art-Artist/303813086368321 <<this is my page. PLEASE HELP, THANKYOU VERY VERY MUCH :(
LBrown
Forum Newbie

PostRe: just getting started

by ClareGalvin » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi!

I'm in the same position...I found setting up a Twitter page helped me, and also posting leaflets locally.
Your work would go down well in craft fairs, so perhaps try and get a stall at some of these as soon as you have created enough pieces..keep updating your Facebook (make it clear you are taking commissions) and website so people are always kept interested and looking forward to seeing your next piece, nothing worse than a neglected site :)
I guess it's just exposing your work as much as you can and reminding people you are ready to take commissions.

Sorry if I haven't been much help, keep chipping away at it. Wishing you luck!

Clare
ClareGalvin
Forum Newbie

by helennock » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi Lauren,

I really like tree image you have on sale. I see you are in year 11 and already had the initiative to create website and fb fan page - kudos!!

My tips would be to add some more of your favourite works to your portfolio and concentrate on producing your art with heart first...then selling. You need at least half a dozen collected good images to make an impact. Some of those could even be interesting elements of studio work to pad out in the meantime. These could even a good talking point for your work in progress and ideas on your fan page. The example of my cat below will never be for sale but I cropped to a part I liked that was still good enough to look at.

It takes time to build up a reputation via organic growth..i.e no hard advertising or marketing, but relying on on-line presence and activity. Keep plugging away as Clare said and good luck :)
And remember to attach your signature to posts as another way to push up website views and the artweb in general which does us all good.
www.helen-nock.co.uk
helennock
Power User

by LBrown » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:44 pm

thankyou for the advice clare and helen, i will keep trying.. the only thing is that i can be quite impatient and i know that you need patience lol the tree one is my favourite at the minute and the vines on a new piece i am doing haven't quite worked very well but then again vines can be odd shapes like you can sometimes get trees, fruit, veg, flowers etc that are formed quite odd, the reason i priced my painting 'solitude' at £30 is because that is what my art teacher suggested i try to sell it at, when my vines painting is finished then i will also put that up for sale, i will have a lot more time to do more work now that i have finished school 8)

thankyou for the help, i sort of knew what i had to do but i think i just needed to hear somebody more successful say the same lol :P
LBrown
Forum Newbie