Anyone Selling Anything!

An area for members to share experiences and find help with using ArtWeb

PostRe: Anyone Selling Anything!

by markcrossey » Sat May 02, 2009 10:37 am

been on here 2 years and havn,t sold a thing via this website, sold thru word of mouth and from free sites like http://www.deviantart.com (sounds pervy but it isn,t) so won,t be renewing subs. can,t see why people are using pay sites as portfolios why not use flicker.com or the above for free.
markcrossey
Junior Forum Member

by maggsed » Sat May 02, 2009 10:41 am

Thanks Mark
I am on a free trail at the moment !!! but i think you have changed my mind about signing up

Cheers
maggsed

by wendypuerto » Sat May 02, 2009 12:17 pm

As it's been said before you really do have to market yourself

Mark your website is well laid out but you do need to add more links in and out.

Maggsed your work is good but your website is empty of everything.

also if you add a link to your website at the bottom of posts you make on the forum that will improve things too.

look at other artists websites and you will see what I mean.
wendypuerto
Power User

by martinstone » Sat May 02, 2009 12:43 pm

since you ask i have made about half a dozen direct sales from this site, as well as that it is a great tool for displaying my portfolio to clients and collectors of my work in other cities and countres and it has and continues to aid me in sales in many ways, it came to me recomened by other artists and the artist newletter info pool and has not been disapointing, i think one of the most valuble things it has done to aid sales is to showcase my work to other galleries which has led to shows and sales. i am not saying it it is perfect and could not be improved but i would definately recomend it, and on a scale of 1 - 10 i would rate it as an 8 for value and overall sales affectiveness.

martin
martinstone
Forum Newbie

by wendypuerto » Sat May 02, 2009 12:58 pm

Thanks Martin I was holding back a bit as it can sound like your bragging! but I have had direct sales, commissions UK and International,Offers from Galleries, a publishcation, A hotel contract, useful links help and support, So I agree it is money well spent.

As with anything there is room for improvement and these things take time as with any Business to become established with a good reputation.
wendypuerto
Power User

by rosieharper » Sun May 03, 2009 9:56 pm

Wendy and Martin are right - an online art site will only give you the platform - you as an artist have to stand on that platform and let everyone know you are there. The best marketing tool for online art selling I have found is to place yourself in the shoes of a potential buyer - what would they want to see, read, who are you, what do you actually do, if they can get a sense of you as an artist, then they will feel more at ease in parting with their hard earned cash, so make your gallery the best you can. Keywords, descriptions, etc all help to promote you. TAW and other sites give you all the tools you would need to do this, so use them to their full capacity. You only need to set aside a couple of hours a week to update and expand your gallery but it's well worth it in the end. Good luck everyone :D
rosieharper
Junior Forum Member

by theteenager » Sun May 03, 2009 11:49 pm

I am a newcomer to this site and still feeling my way. I shall always appreciate comments and advice from any member since no one person ever has a monopoly of good ideas. I think that it is important to spread your work around and get yourself known. Selling is not of primary importance to me - maybe I am different here. I think Wendy has a point in not standing still, add on, develop, change things a bit. You are an artist, so express yourself on your website too. I have not sold anything either, but I have sold elsewhere, mainly by commissions and recommendation. Never goive up, if no one is buing there is a reason for it. Find out what it is. Why do you paint? Is it for money? Or is it to express yourself? Find the market that suits you and people will flock to see your work. :) :)
theteenager
Forum Newbie

by traceyletchford » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi, I was wondering this same question when I signed up for the free trial....obviously it's a buyers market so if you havent got what they want it wont sell. I do mainly pet portraits which I have sold through word of mouth. I had my own site (shortly to be shut down) but it did not get me anywhere....Perhaps it was how it looked or something. I live in hope that this site might change this....having such a large collection of artists together can only help bring visitors.
traceyletchford
Forum Newbie

by theteenager » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:45 pm

Spread your message around as many galleries as you can, like the farmer sowing seeds there has to be some that fall on stony ground. The Teenager.
traceyletchford wrote:Hi, I was wondering this same question when I signed up for the free trial....obviously it's a buyers market so if you havent got what they want it wont sell. I do mainly pet portraits which I have sold through word of mouth. I had my own site (shortly to be shut down) but it did not get me anywhere....Perhaps it was how it looked or something. I live in hope that this site might change this....having such a large collection of artists together can only help bring visitors.
theteenager
Forum Newbie