Anyone Selling Anything!

An area for members to share experiences and find help with using ArtWeb

PostAnyone Selling Anything!

by yvonnephillips » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:42 pm

Hi all,
I was wondering what sort of sales are made through TAW.?
I havn't heard a Dicky Bird from any prospective customers!
I know it will be different from person to person, but I am curious as to whether people get many sales, or just enquiries.
Plus how do I add my site to bottom of this email?
Thanks,
Yvonne
yvonnephillips
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Anyone Selling Anything!

by malcolmcroft » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:47 am

Hi Yvonne
Like you I've had no sales through TAW. I don't know how other people have done - maybe they've had more success. I tend to think of my site as a being like an electronic business card/portfolio, so I can show people I meet (friends, family, prospective clients, gallery owners) the sort of work I do.
The current economic climate can't be helping either.
Best of luck
Malcolm

http://www.croftart.com
malcolmcroft
Forum Newbie

by valeriependleton » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:55 am

"I tend to think of my site as a being like an electronic business card/portfolio, so I can show people I meet (friends, family, prospective clients, gallery owners) the sort of work I do."

Same here, for minimal expense & effort it's just the job. Any sales are a bonus. You don't have to sell much to recover your annual costs.

Val
valeriependleton
Forum Newbie

by chrissyguest » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:50 am

Hello everyone,

First time I've used this forum, but I'm pleased someone has asked this question. I already had a website so I joined TAW to sell. Not a bean so far, although, I have found that since I've been actively updating on a weekly basis, the hits have increased. I am selling much cheaper on here than in galleries, so I sort of regret joining. I would be really interested to hear other comments.

http://www.chrissyguest.co.uk
Attachments
on the edge 4. 20cm x 20cm oil on linen.jpg
on the edge 4. 20cm x 20cm oil on linen.jpg (152.77 KiB) Viewed 13032 times
chrissyguest
Forum Newbie

by Chris Pendleton » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:52 am

Val's right (naturally!) See it primarily as an on-line brochure for your work.

We try to make our sites as easy to buy from as possible. Put yourself in the place of a potential buyer and try to anticipate any barriers to making sales.
After we'd tweaked them a bit we did sell more, but even so, many customers still prefer to speak over the phone to place orders.
Chris Pendleton
Forum Newbie

by chrissyguest » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:54 am

Wow! As I said, it's the first time I've used this forum, that's one hell of a large image, I thought it would scale down. SORRY EVERYONE
LOL Chrissy
chrissyguest
Forum Newbie

by peterjones » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:01 am

i've sold one painting....begining to think it was a fluke lol
peterjones
Forum Newbie

by wendypuerto » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:41 pm

Yes I have had a few sales and commissions.a commission from New York only last Sunday.
But also think of it as others have said a portfolio also a cheap way of advetising and a great forum for tips help and chat,it can be a lonely existance being an artist.

As mentioned before you can't just sit back and hope the site will do it all for you you still need to do a lot of the leg work yourself.

make use when you upload new work of titles of work and key words and discriptions.
wendypuerto
Power User

by yvonnephillips » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Thanks for all your replies.
I think I am doing everything I can to sell. Tags, Uploads reg.
I did think of it as a 'shop window' like a few have said.
Yvonne
yvonnephillips
Forum Newbie

by lindikirwin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:25 pm

hi yvonne,

i've had commissions only through TAW, but no direct sales via paypal.
i too feel it's a show-case and like wendy says, the legwork continues!!

[good to see you today :) you'll meet malcolm at some stage...he's at the mill too, next door but one to you :) . sold a giclee on canvas at the mill this afternoon :) ]
lindikirwin
Forum Member

by jeanniezelos » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:44 am

reluctantly I discontinued my membership this year :cry: - not a sniff of a sale since i joined 2 years ago - I'm not the best at promoting my websites though and with £ being as they are have gradually cut down on those I belong to.
I agree with the "showcase" idea but I've had my own site for this since 2003, I always regard it as my main site as its the only one where I ( and son who runs it of course :D ) am in complete control. Having seen others have the plug pulled on them very suddenly and been rejected from a site after years of loyal membership (NOT on TAW I add - Chris has always been excellent, supportive and professional) I want to keep my main site as one where I am in full control. Luckily my business cards have always carried my main address but it could have been expensive if they carried the website where they terminated my membership.
jeanniezelos
Power User

by wendypuerto » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:11 am

I don't know who you could possibly be refferring to! :lol: :lol: :lol: They did me a massive favour looking back!I have done better with sales since then so I can put it into some sort of perspective now and it was a great springboard onto better things. :) :) :)
wendypuerto
Power User

by michelleanderson » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:17 am

I think the shop window approach is right.
Most serious buyers of original art would rather see the work in the flesh, as pieces can look dramatically different from their web appearance.
I have never sold anything "cold" through TAW although I have sold pieces after people had seen my work in a gallery and then looked on the website.
As someone else said, you dont have to sell much to recoup the cost.
The best way to sell is still to get your work hanging somewhere.
michelleanderson
Forum Member

by rebeccabarton » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:21 am

i sell quite a lot through my site, although I am not sure how many actually come via artists web rather than google.... but as a cheap simple way to get your work on the internet it is fab.... :lol:
rebeccabarton
Forum Member

by yvonnephillips » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi,
Didn't realise it was your post Lindi. Good to see you also. Looking forward to meeting others at the mill.
Mixed replies overall I think.
thanks for the info. It's good to see what's happening with others, as when you are working at home, you miss other peoples experiences.
Yvonne
yvonnephillips
Forum Newbie