Just selling or website as well....

An area for members to share experiences and find help with using ArtWeb

PostJust selling or website as well....

by traceyletchford » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi, I am new so if this is the wrong place do forgive me...

I am very interested in joining as a full member, although I cannot make up my mind as to what package. If I do the basic package I can upload 25 images but if I do the higher one I can do 200??? why the huge discrepancy? Money is tight at the mo but I need to try to sell my paintings....any recommendations? maybe I could do the basic joint jobbie first see how it goes and then upgrade, are we able to do that?

Any advice appreciated :D
Tracey
traceyletchford
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Just selling or website as well....

by wendypuerto » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:13 am

Hi Tracey

It depends how keen and prolific you are at producing work with the intention to sell.

If you have plenty of work already for the thirty pounds difference it could be worthwhile but if you only have a few ready and want to take things slowly and as you say money is tight choose the smaller package.
But a website is crusial these days as well as all the offline promotion.

Good luck :)
wendypuerto
Power User

by joetymkow » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:28 am

Hi Tracey,

I'm starting my final year at UWE in Bristol, studying Fine Art Creative Practice. The course is geared up to 'earning your living as an artist'. We have to write a business plan, and the inevitable dissertation, create a website, and define our artists' practice.

I found the artists web through a link from another site. I like the ability to utilise the existing software, and uploading images is relatively straightforward. As a student it means I can have a website, with my own domain-name, for around £35 per year. I am still in the process of establishing/identifying the type of artist I will eventually become.

I'm not sure if I will aim for gallery representation, do my own thing regarding exhibiting in group and solo shows, or work on the periphery in a museum, gallery, as a curator, etc. I would like to gain a residency, and apply for funding for various ideas/proposals that I have in mind.

I'm unlikely to bother trying to sell through a website. The type of work I am producing is big and textured, (five or six foot canvasses), and impossible to assess from an image on a monitor. I would expect my work to be predominantly shown locally/nationally; the cost of shipping would make sending work abroad prohibitive.

The blogs are interesting, art-related and I would like a lot more of the same, I find the forum quite disappointing though.
joetymkow
Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:40 am

If you have a narrow sperspective as you have now you won't earn a living from it.

It is easy and workable to ship large canvases to the States and beyond I often do it.

It is all very well to have high expectations but reality plays a bigger part.
wendypuerto
Power User

by traceyletchford » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:55 pm

The speed of my work varies...I can do one painting within a week or as with some take 12...it all depends on the amount of details and if I get too caught up in the 'fiddlies' as we all do occasionally. with watercolours I can sometimes take 5 minutes and have a really nice picture...inspiration plays a major part, I suppose I will have to look long and hard at my portfolio and see if there really is enough to justify the full package at this time....What is it they say 'from small acorns.....' :wink:
traceyletchford
Forum Newbie

by korzerrobinson » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:24 pm

For me its not so much a question of the paypal tie-in that comes with the larger package, than the amount of photos you can upload. While 200 for the full package may be a bit too many, i found that 25 are definitely too few.

Periodically i have sold a few pieces through the website, but as far as I am aware I have never had a web-only-sale. The people that bought pieces through my site had either seen the work at an exhibition or even had bought work previously through galleries. A photograph can only transport so much and it seems that people need to see your work "in the flesh".
I agree with Joe, that this is particularly true for three-dimensional work, even if the depth is merely in a particular texture of a painting.

Having said that, it is great tool of having an accessible portfolio, that is easily updated and modified without any knowledge of website design.
korzerrobinson
Junior Forum Member

by helennock » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:10 pm

Perhaps an intermediate or slighly larger package than the basic, say fifty. Twenty five is too small for a substantial portfolio though you can always upgrade from the basic package later. Thinking about it, twenty five forces one to be really selective and not tempted to keep chucking stuff on just in case.

I didn't get many enquiries from my website until this year. I contented myself with the knowledge that it gained my work another audience even if I didn't know them. And for the reasons others have stated. In my experience it did take the couple of years I was told for my marketing to reach the public. This site, along with social activity in related networks and live exhibitions has fed each other. Now, I am selling and working to commission straight from my website with some exciting collaborations in the pipeline. It was all very confusing and totally alien to me in the beginning but you will pick it up as you go along. I could do more regards web presence with blogging and twittering etc but not really my forte. If you don't have to complicate your current needs and ambitions with say aiming to work in the community or public art projects, or the host of pressures from trying to earn a living from your art then some bottom line basics include....cracking portfolio on website, live exhibitions/shows/displays accompanied with good business cards, network online in other art communities where you can also show your work and research other professional artists working in similar genre.
helennock
Power User