Virus Warning!!!

An area for members to share experiences and find help with using ArtWeb

PostVirus Warning!!!

by wendypuerto » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:50 pm

I don't usually take notice of these but a very trusted friend sent it to me and it is veryfied by microsoft,

Emails are being sent to people saying Bin Laden has been hanged and inviting you to click on a link and picture, don't answer or click on link as it is a deadly virus and will clear out your C/ Drive.
Even if it says it is from someone you know, it might say invitation or words to that effect.
There is no fix and it is totally disruptive.

It was discovered yesterday!

Even if it ends up being a hoax at least you are aware.
wendypuerto
Power User

PostRe: Virus Warning!!!

by jeanniezelos » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:27 am

Hi Wendy - i just checked with snopes and its from 2006 and not a current threat
http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/osama.asp

snopes and hoaxslayer are both good sites to check if anyone wants to see if emails are true or hoax - there are so many circulating its hard to tell. our parish magazine carried the story on the 112 working on mobiles when there's no signal - i emailed the parish coucil to tell them its not true and included links but they were hard to convince ("it came from a trusted source - a local solicitor") i wanted to say a barrister friend of mine passed on the bill gates is sharing his fortune via beta testing one and we all know that's rubbish..but some people are hard to move off their stance - they did say they will print something in the next mag. I've offered to check anything for them another time cos the magazine is only ev 3 months..

I wonder what people get out of starting virus emails though - they must live a shallow life when all they want to do is destroy other people's pc's :cry:
jeanniezelos
Power User

PostRe: Virus Warning!!!

by wendypuerto » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:43 am

He had said it was checked with snopes so thought it true oh well better to be alert just incase.
Shame the story that he has been hanged is not true though :wink:
wendypuerto
Power User