critique my website

An area for members to share experiences and find help with using ArtWeb

Postcritique my website

by katygalbraith » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:30 pm

I have just spent a long time changing the layout and look of my site - for something less girlie and a bit more sophisticated, but hopefully still giving the impression of what i am about.

I would appreciate any feedback, constructive criticism etc.

http://www.katygalbraith.co.uk

i am awaiting a reply as to whether by clicking on to the image for a relevant page, it should take you to the landing page of that section, rather than to an enlarged image of the mosaic… in my ideal world…

but thoughts please

katy
katygalbraith
Forum Newbie

PostRe: critique my website

by michaelrafferty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:20 pm

evening, I've been trying to post this for days but the artweb security system has managed to defeat me on most occasions.
I'll try to be as constructive as possible.

What's wrong with "girly"? Think I know what you mean though.

To me the "girly" message you portray is probably down to:
a the choice of font
b the colour used for the font.

Try using a "manly" font ( just kidding, something a bit more angular, less curvy)
A pinky powdery lavender colour hints.....try a grey or darker tone of blue

Fiddling with these changes is really easy on this website. If you don't like the trials, just delete them, simps.
Mick Rafferty
michaelrafferty
Forum Newbie

PostRe: critique my website

by alexanderkorzerrobin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Hi Katy,

I am only posting this because I really like your mosaic work! I don't much like the website, though.

Firstly, I would not use Comic Sans as a font. In fact no one should ever use comic sans, also known as "the typeface that needs to die" :-). Personally I don't think it looks professional. What is this font supposed to say? "Look, I wrote this by hand because I have a devil-may-care attitude but I am also down to earth and quaintly charming." - Puhleeze!!

Okay, moving on. I would not use Lilac or Lavender, or pastells. It sets a mood that some people might like but other people won't. It may not go well, with the colours of a particular artwork of yours. You want people to be able to envision your work in their own home, so any colour scheme on your website will only distract from that.
Instead you should use neutral colours. If you look at websites of fine art galleries, you'll find they are mostly white or grey, sometimes black....but rarely in colours.
Your work is very colourful and would look best on a neutral backround. Especially as an artist in a crafts medium, your presentation should look very sophisticated and not homespun like a hobbyists website.
I can understand the wish to convey who you are through your website, but your work does that for you loud and clear. No need for further embellishments.

Also, you don't need as many images as you have on your website, and I would encourage you to get rid of those photos that are not optimal. Some of them are blurry, or milky, or have a glare from a flashlight in them - you don't need those, they just bring down the rest.
Also I am not sure if you really need the BAMM logo, because most people won't know what it is, but if you feel you must have it, the logo should be as clear and crisp as the rest of your images.

Sorry about all the criticism, but I think your work is fantastic and deserves a good presentation.

Best,
Alex

P.S.: Love Barbara Kingsolver, especially the Poisonwood Bible and The Lacuna.
alexanderkorzerrobin
Forum Newbie