Art for Art's sake...

Welcome all newcomers! Please introduce yourself and your work

PostArt for Art's sake...

by asha » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:04 am

In ancient times, art was a language of the gods. Skilled sculptors, mosaic tilers, painters and stone cutters expressed the advanced esoteric knowledge of the elite. The "common" people were meant to be in awe of the great status of their leaders.No doubt many of the ancient artworks still have no match today in terms of geometry, scale and sheer genius.Then came art for art's sake, expressing the face of the "common" man. The life and breath of the existential moment. The brilliance of light and shade, the colors of the meadow, the broken teeth of the drunk's smile.From the great masters like Da Vinci, Rembrant, Vermeer, Monet, Van Gogh (to name a few) we have come through Dada, expressionism and conceptual art etc. to meat dresses and the shock value. I removed something too negative I said because this discussion has done too many rounds of art forums already. My point is when I asked the art tutors why they marked down students who can draw/paint well, and mark up the ones who do "crazy stuff" leaning towards the negative...I was told the decision came from on High. What "HIGH" are they talking about ??
asha
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Art for Art's sake...

by asha » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:20 am

OK..Not that much fun talking to myself. I ranted on about art college policy, got that off my chest. ( I was not with those who were marked down). It was in honor of students who arrived for the art course with lots of promise and got de-energized. There are plenty of amazing artists here, lots of positive and perceptive work.It seems on blogs and forums, only positive works...if one does criticize,it needs to be oh so carefully crafted and counter-balanced. How is your networking going? My artist friend Diane says.."paint boy, do the forum rounds if you like,like,like...but at the end of the day your paintings do the talking". Tough girl huh! but I am actually looking forward to some healthy interaction.
This is the part where I introduce myself..er..and cringe profusely trying to justify my many mono-prints which did not take very long to do at all. Here I would say I am working seriously on oil paintings, but like the guy who had a passed life in the days when paintings took months to complete, by the time I upload them, everyone has gone surfing. Well I hope not.
In the passed few days I have gone boldly down several networking avenues...only to be asked what my budget is...I do not have one yet your highness...er.Anyway, when I look at the work being produced on ArtWeb i am totally inspired. Great to be here.
asha
Forum Newbie