Background Music

Discuss anything and everything art related with other forum members

PostBackground Music

by soniabublaitis » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Hi folks,

I'm a new member and would like to say how pleased I am with the professionalism that TAW provide.

Do any other members wish that they could have background music playing whilst people visit their websites?? It's just that I have composed some music and think it would be cool to have it playing in the background.

Look forward to hearing from you erm reading from you :wink:

Sonia http://www.sonia-bublaitis.co.uk
soniabublaitis
Junior Forum Member

PostRe: Background Music

by wendypuerto » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:40 pm

I think that would be one to ask TAW direct It may take up to much on the servers or difficult to add to every members website, I have no idea but certainly worth asking about, especially as you have composed it yourself :D
wendypuerto
Power User

by helennock » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi Sunny,
Good to see you here. Site looks terrific. Flamenco dancers are interesting. I had two costume doll versions when I was little. They'd be worth a bit now :) but can't remember what happened to them. I was into furry toys more than dolls...found em a bit spooky especially in the wee small hours :shock:

I don't know how music can be added but certainly add a bit more kudos if it's your own composition. Could it be loaded onto utube then embed code into home page :?:

Good luck on Taw :D
www.helen-nock.co.uk
helennock
Power User

by wendypuerto » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:07 pm

I don't know how if it is true or not but I had been told
It could hurt your page rankings in the searches by adding it to your home page though.You would need to check it out.
wendypuerto
Power User

by helennock » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:12 pm

That's a good point. It's not worth confusing the spiders etc.
helennock
Power User

by korzerrobinson » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:07 pm

i am sure your self-composed music is very accomplished...however, personally i usually am annoyed when there is music that automatically starts playing as soon as you hit a website.
There are several reasons for that:
- it can be distracting
- i might already be listening to music while i am surfing the web
- it might slow my computer down
- it may feel a little like someone is pushing their musical taste onto me
- if i don't enjoy the music for whatever reason, its a choice between going on a search for the "off"-button or shutting the page all together....more often than not, it's the latter
korzerrobinson
Junior Forum Member

by wendypuerto » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:28 pm

I'm not a great lover of any sounds whilst surfing,but I have been on a couple of gallery sites i.e. my art space where beautiful soothing classical music did actually enhance the viewing experience especially whilst viewing soothing tranquil seascapes, so really it is a question of taste and getting it right, but really just another complication.
wendypuerto
Power User

by soniabublaitis » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi Folks,

I want to say thank you to you all for your kind and constructive comments first of all!

Thanks Wendy. I did contact TAW and they said that unfortunately it is not a feature at this time, which made me think that if other members would like this feature, it could be a possibility in the future. If it can harm rankings it won't be worth it. I'm not that good :lol:

Thanks Helen. Good to hear from you and again thank you for your lovely comments. Do you mean the flamenco doll dancers or the painting? When I was little I fell in love with the dolls in Spain and have a passion for flamenco. Did a little dancing myself (years ago though) :D

When I looked at the brilliant artist Fabian Perez, his amazing artwork had flamenco playing in the background which gave the whole site to me anyway a much more engaging view.

Using u-tube and putting it on sounds a bit too technical for me though. I must say that your student produced some lovely work. I loved the patterns and colours!

Thanks Alexander. I wouldn't say I am accomplished but I want to produce a body of work, a fusion of my music and the art that it inspires me to paint and thought it would be neat to have them together. I agree that sometimes music annoys and there is no guarantee mine wouldn't :wink: but for the purpose of expression shown through music to painting, I believe it to be essential for that body of work.

The idea of it slowing down the computer etc. would be a turn off and thank God there would always be an option at the side of our computers to turn the speakers off if desired. :lol:
soniabublaitis
Junior Forum Member

by helennock » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:07 am

Hi Sunny. Or should I say good morning. I'm not usually up this late but a bit of excitment going on re my husband taking his 40 mph max military vehicle off to a show and deciding to drive through the wee small hours to miss the weekend rush.

I meant the Flamenco Doll Dancers. They were very ornate with lots of lace and stuck on hair with the little combs I wasn't allowed to mess with.
helennock
Power User

by soniabublaitis » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:49 am

Hi Helen,

Sounds like you had fun :o I was fast asleep as I broke my foot in two places at the weekend :( and it's exhausting hobbling everywhere.

Ah, the dolls, I remember pestering my mum every time we went to Spain to buy yet another one for the collection. I wasn't allowed to play with them either though :lol:
soniabublaitis
Junior Forum Member

by TransientJay » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:41 pm

This question also interests me as a soundscape composer. I persevered with having an intro soundscape on my home page too and through Google Analytics found that something like 80% of visitors pressed the off button! At the moment I just have a mystery play button that people can press if they want to investigate. I found that people generally find BM annoying on websites but if they are given the choice it can't do any harm (unless it is true that it hurts your web rankings!). I have also considered soundscaping websites in general: button clicks, movement noise etc. but I suspect this may be treading similar ground even though the idea is to emphasis, not intrude. Any personal feedback on that would be most helpful!

Jay
TransientJay
Forum Newbie

by Jar » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:41 pm

Im the same way the moment I hear some music I frantically look for the stop tab. The thought of music is nice but in reality it doesn't work. And if it confuses the spider then I'll be happy to stay away from that.
Jar
Forum Newbie