Painters Block

Discuss anything and everything art related with other forum members

PostPainters Block

by painterlee » Wed May 30, 2012 6:42 pm

Hi,
Has anyone else experienced "painters block" I am currently going through this state of mind and its so frustrating. Something tells me to stop painting for a few weeks, but I don't actually want to. When I'm on a roll I can produce some good work. I am wondering if this is experienced by other artists and is it a normal phase that artists go through.
Carol
painterlee
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Painters Block

by artjuno » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:58 am

I think it's natural to have painters' or artitsts' block; I had it for a while now I can't stop getting ideas and wanting to paint more and more as the ideas won't stop flowing; I want to get focussed on a personal style; perhaps it's lack of direction or inspiration; hope your inspiration comes again soon! June
artjuno
Forum Newbie

by painterlee » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:27 am

Hi June,
What you have commented re painters block is exactly what I am experiencing,
I am wanting to step up a bar and find my own style. I have lots of ideas but transfering them onto paper seems difficult at the moment there seems to be a mental thing going on with my brain at the moment. At one time I used to decide what I was going to paint and go for it. Never the less I still paint every day even if its just doodles and wait for inspiration to come back, I'm sure it will!
Carol
painterlee
Forum Newbie

by helennock » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi Carol, I agree with June...yes, totally natural to have painter's, or any other artist block. Doodling without stressing about outcome sounds good. Personally, I often do anything else but art - walking, gardening, housework, stroking the cat.... Then the muse just seems to snap back in when she's ready. If you are trying to find your voice...maybe do a few loose renditions/interpretations of art that totally knocks you out.
I call block my dark night of the soul. I think our subconscious just needs to get on with renewing our imaginative energies without too much hassle from the conscious level. I feel there can be a difference between uncertainty of style/ development/research, or a project and feeling flat as a pancake...difficult to detect though. Good luck..it'll come :)
www.helen-nock.co.uk
helennock
Power User

by painterlee » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:05 am

Hello Helen,
Its good to know I'm not the only one with painters block. I think a lot of the problem is, although my work is ok I want to break the barrier now and move on, deep down I want to paint a lot looser, in fact verging on abstract, especially flowers.
Good new this week though, some of my work has been accepted with a large gallery, I'm hoping this will give me incentive to start being serious.
Yes like you I walk the dog read etc, anything to avoid facing that white paper!
I like your work by the way, its very diverse. and I love your cats, very loose, you are obviously very talented.
Carol
painterlee
Forum Newbie

by ipka » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:45 pm

I have it. Although presently, i'm idling due to lowness/exhaustion stemming from being hard-up and disruptive domestic situations rather than lack of visual things to work on. I think the block you refer to (if i understand right) is one which can be usually be sorted with a method ...do something else (which inspires you). Literally ..gardening or a day away somewhere else (or just a few hours); a bus/train ride; a library visit.. a fresh conversation. Sometimes i find even just visiting an art supplies shop (without buying anything) can give me ideas.
ipka
Forum Newbie

by painterlee » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi ipka,
I am slowly getting over painters block, purely by messing around with with different techniques. I'm working in inks and acrylics at the moment, although inks are so unforgiving, one you make a mark its there for good! but I love the colours, so vibrant. Hope you soon start painting again.
Carol
painterlee
Forum Newbie

by jamesalden » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:26 pm

Hi Carol,It goes with the territory,I get enough blocks to build a house,they always go though.Stress, finance,weather all contribute but it is one of the few things you can ignore and it will go away,the more you worry the worse it gets and you start beating yourself up about the wasted time,it cant be helped it is an artist thing.You may wake in the night with a flash of inspiration,I have, lets hope you do.
Jim Alden.
jamesalden
Forum Newbie

by painterlee » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:25 am

Hi Jim,
Yes your right, the more you worry about the block the worse it gets.Mine has been going on for about 3 mths now so thats a long time. Of course it could be the weather, considering in Wales its practically rained for 4 mths! apart from the heat wave this week. Stress..... no I don't think so not now I've retired, my little dog keeps me active and stress free.
I think everything is slowly coming back, but i find i have to paint nearly every day to keep the momentum going.
Carol
painterlee
Forum Newbie

by ipka » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi Carol,

I think that's something..that's the thing..your mind is open to a variety of techniques, so the block is a temporary situation. I'm not an architect but architecture can give me an impulse. The same with scuplture/design. I've used objects fashioned by nature to help me draw/paint in an abstract way, my imagination is limited, so i use the shape of a stone from a beach or a piece of driftwood to give me fresh shapes (and the emotions/sensations/memories that may come also from walking on a beach, or in the fields, give other impressions also that can help me).

Matthew

painterlee wrote:Hi ipka,
I am slowly getting over painters block, purely by messing around with with different techniques. I'm working in inks and acrylics at the moment, although inks are so unforgiving, one you make a mark its there for good! but I love the colours, so vibrant. Hope you soon start painting again.
Carol
ipka
Forum Newbie

by mick maughan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:03 am

Hello there Carol
It's difficult to respond to your question as I don't know what the nature of your work is. If you are a painter of narrative for example there should be an infinite number of topics for you to get stuck into. If this isn't your thing and you are more into abstract art forms you could pick any state of mind- emotion and let that be a starting point. Best of luck Carol, try not to get too down hearted I'm sure that this phase you and experiencing will soon pass. Bye, Mick.
mick maughan
Forum Newbie