Artists Hindsight

Discuss anything and everything art related with other forum members

PostArtists Hindsight

by PHATZILLA » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:16 pm

Hello all,as an artist myself,I have been recently pondering how we know what we would like to paint,before paint hits the canvas.I would be very interested in all your thoughts and replys,as am a little facinated by our thought processes in our art.Thankyou for your attention/Patrick
PHATZILLA
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Artists Hindsight

by Wendy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi Patrick,

Wow, the six milion dollar question!!!! I guess its different for everyone but for me my ideas are pretty random and shift like the wind; a cloud that floats by, a colour combination, an interesting shape, a place I would like to visit, an emotion, a memory of days gone by, a season, etc etc. When staring at a blank canvas ready to do battle, my predominent thought is whether or not I would want the finished artwork on my own wall. To muddy the waters even further. At times I am quite happy to let the brush take me on a journey that I hadn't planned, but at other times we fall out big time. This dysfunctional relationship has on occasions led to some of my best work.
(If my psychiatrist is reading this post, I gave up LSD and magic mushrooms last week!!!!!!)
Really love your work by the way. Very honest and imaginative.
Wendy
Wendy
Forum Newbie

by PHATZILLA » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:28 pm

Thank you kindly Wendy.Was beaming with your delight with your kind words.Amazingly I had been looking at your site only a few days ago.Amazing scenes,very real.I take my hat off to your skill and keen eye.I think the process before the paint adventure could be different in everybody.Hopefully a few more responses will make things clearer.My process is a thoughtful one.It starts with a subject matter,or a live I've heard or read in song or book.Then as I spend 8hrs working a day,I spend that time thinking out how im going about it.I can't just paint an image,it needs my slant on it.I will then research the subjects,pictures,names etc and thinking about melding them into something I would happily hang on my wall.80% of the time there is always a missing piece which I add at the very last moment to the painting.There are times when I will stay up most night just thinking about the imagery.Thankyou so much for your input and look forward to others.Best of luck to all our futures /patrick
PHATZILLA
Forum Newbie

by jameshulings.artweb » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi Patrick,
Well with regard to my abstracts anyway, I myself tend to wait to be inspired by some quite mundane images really, such as a flash of sunlight from within a cracked mirror, a stain upon a pavement, a plastic bag/litter/dust being tossed about by the wind etc. Doesn't sound very inspirational but from these and many other "hum-drum" images I have ended up with an abstract painting I have been quite satisfied with (well as much as any artist can be satified with that is). By the way love both the site and warm and caring community that supports it's members.
James Hulings (newby)
jameshulings.artweb
Forum Newbie

by KennethClarkeartist » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:55 am

Sometimes I don,t know why i create a certain image till weeks later. Then I could be looking at it and it clicks. I painted a swan because I saw one at the wildlife park a few weeks ago. Other times I have a specific plan or idea that evolves as the painting grows. If I want to create a strong dramatic abstract, that is what the painting will become. Depends what is going on in my life and my mood. Usually I,m pretty happy with the finished work. Other times I put it away for a week and come back to put the little detail that is missing. Thanks Kenneth.
KennethClarkeartist
Forum Newbie