Gallery Meeting - Advice Needed

Discuss anything and everything art related with other forum members

PostGallery Meeting - Advice Needed

by EmmaMayRiley » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi Everyone

I have a couple of meeting with gallery owners set up for tomorrow and next week. This is my first foray into getting professional representation, I'm a complete novice at this side of things.

If anyone has any advice on what I should ask or anything I should avoid saying I would really appreciate it :P

All advice welcome !

Thanks Emma
EmmaMayRiley
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Gallery Meeting - Advice Needed

by Wendy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:51 pm

Hi Emma

I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to your question.

If I were to approach a gallery though, I would want a written copy of their terms and conditions including commission, exposure/marketing strategy (ie, do they have a website as well), sales payment procedures, sales figures, etc.

If I was expected to pay a rental of wall space and not sales commssion, I would also want an honest appraisal of whether they considered my work saleable in their gallery. What would be the consequences of my work not selling?

Hopefully more knowledgeable members will offer advice before your meetings, but I just wanted to offer a few thoughts and wish you well.
Wendy
Forum Newbie

by EmmaMayRiley » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:39 am

Thanks Wendy,

All very sensible advice, thank you.

Emma
EmmaMayRiley
Forum Newbie

by michaelrafferty » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:19 am

Based on my experiences I would advise you to be prepared for a fairly negative set of outcomes. If your work fits in with the gallery's style and accords with the market the gallery caters to then they might say yes, but be prepared to be stitched up. They are businesses looking for profits and understandably the bottom line is that they do not operate for the benefit of artists. Be prepared to actually get about 50% of any prices work sells for, commissions and other costs will necessitate retail prices looking exorbitant if you want to make it financially worthwhile.
I sometimes sell work via my site though mainly through online gallery sites. Most sales go to London. In the past year or two I have been approached by galleries who have seen my work on the internet and expressed interest which is both complimentary and "empowering".
I constantly remind myself that "out there" are thousands of other artists trying to make their mark, it's very competetive.
michaelrafferty
Forum Newbie

by KennethClarkeartist » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:40 am

Hi, in my experience galleries are more concerned about what art is likely to sell and go with the theme of gallery than if the art is good or not. Try to come across confident about your work. I found that difficult because I didn,t know a lot of art terms, words etc.
Kenneth Clarke.
www.kennethclarke.artweb.com
KennethClarkeartist
Forum Newbie