Forum culture

Discuss anything and everything art related with other forum members

PostForum culture

by asha » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:13 pm

About six months ago I quit controversy blogs and websites. Not that there are not a few nuggets of plausible info there, among the brewing anger, seasoned cynicism, rabbit hole diving and secret space program speculation etc. But here on the artists forum things work very differently. I should have guessed. So it should be. One needs a different compass altogether. I was a bit unprepared for the more positive approach. So far I have found a number of artists who have discussed their work with me enthusiastically, mostly via private messaging. To be honest I find many threads too careful and considered, but here there is reputation and income at stake. This demands a higher integrity and more mature morale. Interesting learning curve. I criticized the college for the few self esteem sensitive students who lost the plot, but neglected to mention all the positive points and outcomes. Such can be the folly of criticism. Do we discuss ourselves and our work openly enough??? Do we need to?? Does it create more botheration than it is worth?? Your thoughts...
asha
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Forum culture

by helennock » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Hi Asha,

Myself and most artists I talk with, both live and cyber, love an opportunity to talk about their work. We get on a roll as far as the day to day experiences of running an art practice, as one does with any common ground of endeavour and interest. For me, the timing, opportunity and will need to fall in sinc. Some days verbal cogs aren't working nearly as well as the visual, or practical. Sometimes it's the last thing I feel like doing. I don't like reading reams of stuff from another artist about their work. No more than a paragraph. Obviously that doesn't apply to, say contextual art that has a rolling narrative.
On here, a lot of us used to talk and share our work, and squabble a lot. Some very passionate squabbles. A lively forum providing a great space for sharing and discussing work and wider happenings in art. And holding a long thread with lots of contributors.
helennock
Power User

by helennock » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:15 pm

I have met artists and worked with students in very self sensitive dimensions only wanting to make art for themselves, or so terrified of criticism it was easier to stay aloof.
I sometimes wonder if talking very freely destroys special elements ..or is that being too special...like some things aren't meant to be rationalised or understood.
helennock
Power User

by asha » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:22 pm

:lol: Hi Helennock, great to hear a human voice.You made some useful disclosure there for a newbie like me. Yeah I agree, who wants to read half a book. Heated discussions can weave towards unnecessary and unintentional negativity. The thing is as a perhaps over-talkative newbie, I was beginning to despair. I bared my heart somewhat, put out a dodgy rant about college policy, and was dealt the overwhelming silence.Then I checked all the different forums and comment dates. I had the horrible feeling I was talking to myself. Even I hate that. I was almost at the point of biting my dog, when you replied.
I guess I should move away from philosophy and "myself" to more useful topics like techniques and artworking. Will check out your website, now that I have seen life on this planet. Thanks Helen :lol:
asha
Forum Newbie

by asha » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi Helen, reply to your second comment, yeah talking too freely can often destroy those special elements. The beautiful quietness develops intuition and birds of a feather just know without boring left-brained monologues. The thing is when a newbie arrives and wants to say Hi...somebody takes the trouble to say Hullo..that was much appreciated, ok. Chow for now...
asha
Forum Newbie

by helennock » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:37 pm

You do talk good Asha...and we need some more chat on here. It died a death a year or so ago...perhaps I'm the only sad person who keeps hoping...and gets fed up with seeing their name on the last discussion post :)) Nice to meet you too.
helennock
Power User

by tiffanydurling » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:06 pm

YES!!! I am able to log in at last!!!! TIFFANY LOGAN says Hi! and wonders why having paid for the domain name change on artweb - I seem stuck with my maiden name for the forum..... :roll:
tiffanydurling
Forum Member

by asha » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi Tiffanydurling, it is a u there is it? I gather you are posing a question there, and not to me of course. My experience is when emailing admin on queries such as yours, one needs to keep it short and exactly to the point. I asked a question and then waffled on about my sales policy and general jibber jabber. No doubt they are hugely busy and expect us to figure a lot of it out. But my question was about tags I entered for images on the artweb page, they do not make it to the artweb site page for outsider viewing. So I asked is that because I have no prices on my work yet. They said I was heading in the right direction. So I am at a loss to understand it all and feel embarrassed actually.Now I feel like I should have studied all this before I joined..or that I should go and see a computer wizard and take notes.I totally understand it from their point of view as after years of dealing newbies like me, it must get wearisome. Did you find the precise info you needed in the video? Perhaps you will share the wisdom of your experience with us, how you resolved it. I would be interested. Will check out your website. What do you mean you had paid to have your domain name changed??
asha
Forum Newbie

by tiffanydurling » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi Asha, I got married a couple of years ago and I wanted my website changed to my married name, it was only £16 to do it. It's called a domain name as each one is unique. I have messaged admin about it but I seem to remember I asked 2 years ago and it can't be changed on the forum.
My name is Tiffany Logan, used to be Durling.
Pleased to meet you! I can't work out how to view your website and I'm an oldie! :lol:
tiffanydurling
Forum Member

by KennethClarkeartist » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:53 am

Hello Asha and other members,
I like to talk about my artwork but find it easier to talk in person than typing on here.
The words come out more naturally when I talk to someone in person. Also sometimes I don,t know why I create a particular piece untill a while afterward. Confidence has someting to do with it to. Very few of my friends are artists, most are bodybuilders like I used to be and only think that is what I want to talk about. I paint to get away from that.
Thanks Ken.
www.kennethclarke.artweb.com
KennethClarkeartist
Forum Newbie

by admin » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Tiffany, you can update website that appears under your posts from the forum user control panel here.

Go to Profile, then signature and you can update what appears at the end of your posts to whatever you like.

Unfortunately we can't automatically update your signature with your new domain name.

tiffanydurling wrote:YES!!! I am able to log in at last!!!! TIFFANY LOGAN says Hi! and wonders why having paid for the domain name change on artweb - I seem stuck with my maiden name for the forum..... :roll:
admin
Site Admin

by tiffanydurling » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Ooop! :shock:
It's okay I realise now that I just have to open a new forum account to change my name which I am in the process of doing.
Sorry for the rant. Sorry Helen and Asha for redirecting the conversation :oops:
tiffanydurling
Forum Member

by asha » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks for explanation Tiffany, funny as I was moving to see your website I no longer needed to ask that last question. I am going to quit long forum posts as silly things like my question can happen. There are numerous subtle computer skill processes to get familiar with. Cheers...No you did not redirect the topic Tiffany, from my perspective, you added interest..
asha
Forum Newbie

by tiffanylogan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:33 pm

Thanks Asha!
x
tiffanylogan
Forum Newbie