removing water stain from acrylic painting

Seen a great show or exhibition recently? Review it here

Postremoving water stain from acrylic painting

by annalt » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm after a recommended way of cleaning an acrylic painting with a water stain, please. I've sold the painting, but wish to remove the mark.

Can I wash it, or what??

Any suggestions please.

Thanks, Anna

http://www.mathias-abstract-art.com
annalt
Forum Newbie

PostRe: removing water stain from acrylic painting

by wendypuerto » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi :) Can you gently touch up the area with the same colour or is it a massive area?
wendypuerto
Power User

by annalt » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi Wendy,

It is on my Aloe Vera painting and I painted it about 8 months ago, and don't now have the same selection of paints.

It go down the painting, crossing almost all of it!!!

Ant ideas, would varnish hid it?

Thanks, Anna
annalt
Forum Newbie

by wendypuerto » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:46 pm

That has happened to me before,cos I am sometimes lazy in wrapping and storing them but I usually can make up some of the colours used as near as damn it and all is well again varnish won't hide it I am afraid :cry: :cry:
wendypuerto
Power User

by jeanniezelos » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:11 am

how did you get a water stain?? I've never had that problem and i'm not great at storing works safely...are you sure its a water stain? I've always thought acrylics waterproof once dry.You could try washing it with a little soapy water in case its just a dirt stain - otherwise i can only think as Wendy says that you need to lightly touch up that area - can't you match the colours from what you have? you could go over all the area where part is damaged so that the new colour covers all the old - no prob so long as its close match cos pc monitors all make colours vary a bit anyway. else it'll have to be a sorry to customer - damaged in storage - but its a shame to lose a sale
jeanniezelos
Power User

by annalt » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:25 am

Thanks for all your advice.

It was dirt water stain from a leaking roof. Acrylics are not truely water proof I have found, hear and on a couple of other paintings. The water had got through the painting and had even wet the inside of the canvase at the bottom. That area was not visible until I removed it from the wood frame!!! :shock:

We washed it carefully and the mark can not be seen....unless it is wet!!! So the idea of varnish, as Wendy said was not a good Idea.
:(

So once again thanks for the help and the customer is very happy to have the painting. A year it has taken for her to get me to sell it!! :| Sad day in a way :( :(

Anna
http://www.mathias-abstract-art.com
annalt
Forum Newbie

by wendypuerto » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:01 am

Glad all is well :) Yes sometimes it is sad letting them go you have favourites don't you?
wendypuerto
Power User