Help needed - exhibition coming up

Exchange questions and advice with other artists

PostHelp needed - exhibition coming up

by gemmaclimpson » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:03 am

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong area to post this!

I've been offered a space in a local venue - it's purely solo - the place has never exhibited before but loves the idea. I have a meeting with the guy on Friday to discuss terms. He's mentioned around 6 paintings being exhibited (space pending - it may be more), and also obviously a small commission from them.

I've said I'll take a couple of examples of my work. Firstly, they are un-varnished but I want to varnish them before exhibiting. Which sort of varnish should I use? I'm worried it'll ruin them but feel it looks unprofessional without varnish. What are your opinions? I would prefer a spray varnish to avoid brush marks/lost hairs!

Secondly, he mentioned arrangements for taking them up or down (i.e. if they have an event on and they are in danger of getting damaged). Where is the best place for insurance? SAA?

Thank you!

Gemma
gemmaclimpson
Forum Newbie

by kosanamarton » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:56 pm

hi there, well done on your solo exhibition! :)

I varnish some of my work if I want it to have a sheen ( I use acrylics) and usually use a gloss spray varnish which dry fairly quickly (under 24 hours). The one I have at the moment is Daler Rowney.

RE insurance, it is something I have never got round to as yet but most people I know use SAA and find it very good :)

Hope this helps and good luck with your exhibition, hope for lots of sales!
Kos
http://www.kosanamarton.co.uk

'Act as if what you do makes a difference...it does' William James
kosanamarton
Junior Forum Member