the creative times

Exchange questions and advice with other artists

Postthe creative times

by alexanderjohnson » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Hi everyone,

has anyone else been approached by a man called 'Bird' offering to represent them via a new magazine calling itself the Creative Times?
It sounds like a scam to me, I just talked with him on the phone and he's asking for payment (before he's even done anything) to sponsor the magazine, just wondered if anyone knew anymore about him/it?? It worries me that he's not using a name and surname I can check online for any previous activity...

Alex
alexanderjohnson
Forum Newbie

PostRe: the creative times

by leylamurr » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi Alexander!
As it happens i have also been approached by him and must admit thought he was ok as I checked out his website and it looks interesting.
I did send him and e mail and had no reply yet.
I did find it funny though that he should sign himself as "bird".
I am surprised to hear that he asked you for money up front? What for?

Leyla

http://www.leylamurr.com
leylamurr
Forum Member

by alexanderjohnson » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:19 pm

Hi Leyla,

it seems he wants prospective artists to pay £1 per day just to be in the magazine (payments start in Sept and would continue for 6 months I think he said so that'd be over £180 right there!) also wants 25% commission on sold work (fair enough) 10% on any work/exhibitions sales he might get you (not quite sure how he'd work this out) £25 'administration fee' to start off-which is the upfront part.

I just think it sounds a bit cheeky seeing as he hasn't even published the bloody thing yet and we only have his word for it that it will get published and sent to 'all the galleries in England'

Hmmm... I asked him to send me an email with it all written down anyway, but it sounds like he needs to get the magazine sponsored by galleries/art supplies companies etc. and I'm wondering why he doesn't do this and is asking artists to basically pay his wages with no guarantee of any revenue for us... Let's see if he emails anyway, let me know if you get any different info anyway. Alex.
alexanderjohnson
Forum Newbie

by helendavison » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi guys

I received an email from him too, thought it sounded unprofessional but did a quick google search for "the creativetimes". I found the web-site, it is obviously in its early stages and I have emailed "Bird" to this effect, also asking exactly what "services" he is offering me!

It sounds like I will not be venturing further if he is asking for money upfront - no way would I be parting with cash for something that may not even happen! I have not had a reply yet either, so please keep us updated on here if either of you (or anyone else) hears more!
helendavison
Junior Forum Member

by leylamurr » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:50 pm

Yea, I got a reply from Mr Bird Lovegod! (can you believe it!?) attaching in writing his scheme which pretty much matches what Alex has said.
I mean the guy may have the best intentions for all we know but it is so naive it's beyond belief.
I have responded in similar vein so hopefully I won't hear from him again.
He lives on a Bird Planet , looks like it.

http://www.leylamurr.com
leylamurr
Forum Member

by alexanderjohnson » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:08 am

Last edited by alexanderjohnson on Wed May 20, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexanderjohnson
Forum Newbie

by laurabarber-riley » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:24 am

I had the e-mail from him too- thanks to those who have posted the details, saves me the bother of e-mailing him back!
laurabarber-riley
Forum Newbie

by leylamurr » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:08 am

Alex, just to complete this by posting a reply I had from Bird:

As a gesture of good faith, I will send you a copy of the magazine when published, in order that you may be considered for future editions. I should also point out that many galleries here in London also charge a fee as well as a commission, and when they do, it is many times more than the fee I ask. They also tend to take between 40% and 60% on sales.

For some artists I do not charge a fee. It depends on how well established they are.

With regards to my name, I changed it 6 years ago as a result of a profound Spiritual enlightenment, which was the result of a combination of meditation and creative practice. The Soul being the creator within, which, if allowed to freely express itself without restraint, becomes fully conscious. Spirituallity and Art are interwoven with each other, hence the huge amount of traditional art with a Spiritual or religious motivation and theme.

Prior to this enlightenment, I was a sales director, and also a book publisher, the most significant being a 300 page full colour book of living UK artists, The Britart Directory. I now publish magazines, and have a successful complementary therapy magazine in London, as well as having published several other books, and organised events and fairs in the last year or so.

You'll have to wait for the magazine to read the full article on Art as a path to Spiritual awakening. Art as a religion, indeed...

Until then, good luck in your art.

Yours

Bird
(previously Henry Charles Edward Mayhew)
leylamurr
Forum Member

by alexanderjohnson » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:58 am

I could think of a more succinct name for him! It seems he missed the 'loveboat' by about 40 years :lol:

cheers everyone x
alexanderjohnson
Forum Newbie

by jackpurvis » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi
I've had the same email. Got the same response as eveyone else when I made contact. It seems to me he's needing seed money which in a normal situation would provide a return for investors. But I doubt it in this case.
He also hasn't done his homework for there already is a well established US emag with the same name.
I think it's a case of waiting to see what happens in September.
Jack
jackpurvis
Forum Member

by Toadslayer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:57 pm

for some curious reason - could be an association with 'bird' - the phrase "high as a kite" keeps coming to mind ............... :P :P :P
I can't make people like my art - but I can do my damnest to ensure that they don't just wander past without looking.
Toadslayer
Junior Forum Member

by mark-hwilson » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:12 pm

I think "Bird' means well and is quite enterprising. I wish him well, He's done a lot of research. He seems to know a lot about where I live (Sheffield) and all the locations mentioned in the titles of my paintings.
He's not a scammer but there's no way I'm gonna give him £1 a day plus registration fees etc. etc. 8)
P.S. He signed himself 'Bird R Lovegod'. BEWARE!!
Mark H.
mark-hwilson
Forum Newbie

by tiffanydurling » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:08 am

I liked the sound of him on the phone
nothing ventured
nothing gained

:mrgreen:

but now I'm nervous!
tiffanydurling
Forum Member

by jeanniezelos » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:20 am

I had the email too last week, and replied on sat am asking for more info and to say that i'd be happy to pay a commsion but not an upfront fee. I also asked about it on my own forum and several members there have ahd contact with him.
the reply i got ( and not til mon night :shock: i though astarting a new business meant working weekends..)was that the fee was £205 for 6 months and there would also be a small commission .
He was pleasant and polite ( "Bird" is fine with me but I can't get past the lovegod bit....) and maybe i've passed on a super opportunity but I don't have that sort of income to put money upfront for an untested project.

He may be genuine - if so i hope he does well - but sadly he could also been an opportunist, whack out some cheap brochure to a few galleries and pocket the money having done what he claimed. Or just take the money..
jeanniezelos
Power User

by lornastorey » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:30 am

He seems to know a lot about where I live (Sheffield) and all the locations mentioned in the titles of my paintings

Well that would be because that's where they are based....Sheffield :D

He/she seems to have trawled forums and contacted everyone. Sounds like a case of vanity publishing don't you think?

Still, very enterprising idea, should make them lots of money :lol:
http://www.lornastorey.co.uk
http://www.allthatjazz-crafts.co.uk

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning."
lornastorey
Forum Member