does facebook work for you?

Exchange questions and advice with other artists

Postdoes facebook work for you?

by darren andrews » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:53 pm

I've never done the facebook thing, although my other half goes on there, and recently one of her friends( and she is one of her real friends not just facebook friends) was saying to me that i should get a faebook account and use that to promote my art. I never thought you could use it for stuff like that but she seems to think you can, i always thought of it as an online diary for all your friends to read.
Do you have a facebook account and do you use it in any way for promoting yourself, and more importantly, does it work for you.
I have almost completed designing my website now, so i am about to try promoting myself and my site in as many FREE ways as possible. Also, any other ideas you dont mind sharing, i've got one for you and thats Fine Art America, its free, but still not getting any visitors to my website yet.
darren andrews
Forum Newbie

PostRe: does facebook work for you?

by wendypuerto » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi Darren

I hate facebook but it is worth using any free exposure including twitter, flicker too.

The more you are out there the better,free website artgalleries can be useful also. I don't know when we are able to find the time to paint :lol: :lol: :lol:
wendypuerto
Power User

by studiok8 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:26 pm

Hi Darren,

There are 2 different kinds of facebook pages - one is a personel page which you use to keep in touch with friends and the other is a "fan page". You can promote your art on this page and people can choose to be a fan of yours - I have many fans that I don't know, many from other countries. However, I'm not sure if these fans are prospective buyers or just fellow artists looking for some inspiration........always a worry :x

There are also lots of pages for artists to join where you can view and discuss other peoples's work.

At the end of the day, it's a free service and, as Wendy says, any way of promoting yourself need to be explored.

Kaye

www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Kaye-Lake/133780542126
studiok8
Forum Newbie

by Paulinelscott » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi Darren

Yes it is worth using any free space you can. Face book has good exposure. I have opened a personal account and my daughter is creating a business page for me to link with my web site.

Pauline
Paulinelscott
Forum Newbie

by artbylon » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:28 am

Definately create a fan page! I got quite a few commissions from it. Lots of extended family didnt know about my art, etc, and friends have sent referrals my way through FB.

Getting referrals is easier when you have a facebook page. My friend commissioned 2 pet portraits and loved them, so invited all of her FB friends to my page, explained what a good job I did, and hey presto! Commissions! If she had just sent out my website I doubt anybody could be bothered to look, but it was right there infront of them and my status and photo updates mean they cant forget about me!
artbylon
Forum Newbie

by suemclearie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:08 pm

I joined FB for that very reason.

As I just said in a reply to Helen, I also put my work in progress on the photo pages...

Haven't had any work from it so far though, just nice comments from various peeps!

Hope you have more luck!!
http://www.suemclearie.co.uk
PAWS by Sue McLearie
(Paper and Wire Sculptures)
suemclearie
Forum Member

by whallart » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:52 am

I have a facebook page. I like posting links to my etsy listing. I provides a thumbnail along with the link. I not sure how much traffic it has actually sent to my listing, but I guess it can't hurt.
whallart
Forum Newbie

by darren andrews » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:20 am

thankyou everybody for the replies, it seems a good idea then to go ahead and create a facebook and twitter account, although I wont be updating everyday like most facebook die hards will be, I just need to find sales which I cant seem to get from my web site.
Thanks again everyone.
darren andrews
Forum Newbie

by emilyholsman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:27 am

Facebook can be a tremendous marketing platform but make no mistake Facebook is first and foremost an advertising platform. There is a reason it is worth Billions.

Every Facebook user creates a profile when they sign up which gives advertisers and people/companies who want to promote their pages, the opportunity to target Facebook users by age, interest, background, education, location and so on.

If you were to create a page for yourself or for your art you can promote the page with Facebook ads or Sponsored News Feed posts, all of which may lead to more 'Page Likes' and visits to your web site.

The great thing is that you can target people very specifically and you can set a very specific budget so that costs don't run away with you.

Whether or not it actually pays dividends for you is another matter. It will for Facebook shareholders but I dare say that is not your motivation.
emilyholsman
Forum Newbie