Insurin artwork in transit to US

Exchange questions and advice with other artists

PostInsurin artwork in transit to US

by leylamurr » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:56 am

Hi all

Just came across this insurance clause in my shipper's T&C saying
that in case of loss or damage during tansport, they only cover like for like.
I then raised a question of original artwork which cannot be replaced as such, etc. after which they replied that they cannot insure original artwork and refunded the insurance I paid.
I was surprised, to say the least, as I have sent on many occasions work to US and had been charged insurance for artwork as specified.
Now I am asking myself, and you if you know the answer, whether our work is REALLY insured as and when it is transported ?
Transglobal Express / DHL have advised me to seek independant insurance and for that I need to have my work "valued" by an art valuer! (that would add to the cost) and in any case we are looking at £100 plus!
This seems insane to me since the work has already been paid for! I tried to reason with various people and have nearly given up , as I have , yet again,
got myself in this "cyclical ignorant idiocy" normally experienced these days on the phone to call centres and such.

Fellow artists, help !!!

Desparately Leyla }:
leylamurr
Forum Member

PostRe: Insurin artwork in transit to US

by alexanderkorzerrobin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:16 am

Hi Leyla,

I ship a lot of work to the US using UPS via interparcel.com, it's a really cheap way to ship work, and I have never had anything go missing. They don't insure original artwork, nor do any of the regular shipping companies I know of. The alternative is specialized art couriers which are very expensive. A friend of mine just recently sent two 1m x 1m paintings for 700 pounds.
I rather take the risk, and so far it's been working well for me. Plus, with the UPS shipping it arrives in 3 days and the tracking is very detailed.
alexanderkorzerrobin
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Insurin artwork in transit to US

by leylamurr » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks Alexander!
As it happens the painting was delivered this morning and I hope all is OK.
I did , however, speak to DHL and they do insure works of art at 1.5% of the value of the work. So next time I will use them.
Best wishes
Leyla

http://www.leylamurr.com
leylamurr
Forum Member