How much to expect

Exchange questions and advice with other artists

PostHow much to expect

by damianphilliben » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:20 pm

I have sold my work for a number of years now, 9 all together, and just wondering if im outpricing myself, i have always priced my work according to the size and hours spent on the piece. I have priced this up as £550 it is very large and took quite a bit of time to get it right. any suggestions, i have just started using this site.

Thanks

Damian
http://damianphilliben.artweb.com/
orry cant get the image on for some reason, [url][/url]
damianphilliben
Forum Newbie

PostRe: How much to expect

by Heather » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi,

I don't want to ever downgrade anyone's work, but I think the price might be a factor as to why you are not selling that many. I have sold spray paint paintings on watercolor paper (18 inches x 24 inches) for $40 that took me about 40 minutes to produce. I sell the same thing on 16" x 20" canvas for $80-$120 depending on the detail. I do not claim myself to be a professional, but there are several things that could also factor in to why you are not selling. Price, painting subject, skill level, medium used, type of work (i.e. abstract, realsism, surrealism) location, and exposure could determine how many you will sell. When people look at my work they tell me it is very good and they are suprised that it was done with spray paint. Sometimes actually painting it in person for someone is a gauranteed sell because they like to see how I create it.

I hope this helped,

Heather
http://www.hbprints.artweb.com
Heather
Forum Newbie

PostRe: How much to expect

by michaelrafferty » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:05 am

Don't think you can apply market logic to pricing. Size and time spent are not indicators to the worth of a piece of work, it's not like you are a plumber or a garage technician. The right price is what you are prepared to accept and what someone is prepared to pay. Getting that right is guess work. Don't drop prices, you begin to devalue yourself.
michaelrafferty
Forum Newbie