Twitter/Facebook

Exchange questions and advice with other artists

PostTwitter/Facebook

by painterlee » Mon May 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Hi, Can anyone in the forum help me. I'm very new to the site and wondering if its benificial to join twitter and facebook to promote my work. I don't do exhibitions, and so I need to push myself a bit more to get noticed, I feel like a fish out of water at the moment, so if anyone has any tips I would love to hear from you.

carol6900.artweb.com
painterlee
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Twitter/Facebook

by Bec » Tue May 29, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi
I joined this site last year and felt the same! I paint really as a hobby, but I was keen to promote my paintings so I decided to set up a webpage here and also a facebook page. I find the facebook page better for keeping close friends and family up to date with the work I'm producing, as they are not likely to browse artweb very often. Once someone 'likes' your facebook page, they will see any new pictures you upload or any information or messages you post, and if they comment on it then their friends will see it too (so your work can get promoted further afiend than just close friends).

I hope this is useful. I like your paintings by the way, I always admire good watercolour pictures as I never got the hang of it myself!

Good luck

Bec :-)

www.rebeccaaltman.artweb.com
Bec
Forum Newbie

by painterlee » Tue May 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Hi Rebecca,
Thanks very much for the info. I used to be a member of facebook but cancelled a year ago. I will have to renew and use it again.
I like your work, your lucky to have an exhibition so it must be more than a hobby with you. Some of my paintings have gone into an exhibition this week with my art society but thats about all.
Are you from Portsmouth/Southampton by the way. I'm originally from Southampton, but have lived in Wales for 20 years.
Good luck with your work

Carol
painterlee
Forum Newbie

by Bec » Wed May 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I'm originally from Southampton too, Bitterne area, but have lived in Southsea now for a few years.

The exhibitions I put my work in are also through art societies, I think its a good way to start. I say my painting is a hobby as I work full time so its something I do in my spare time (and not always as much as I'd like!). I've never really made any money from it, although I have been making some greetings cards from some of the paintings which are quite popular (I use a company called Art2Card, www.art2card.co.uk).

Hope the exhibition goes well

Bec :-)
Bec
Forum Newbie

by painterlee » Wed May 30, 2012 6:20 pm

Hi,
Thanks for that last bit of info re cards. I am looking to have some printed but never knew of a contact, now I do!. hope you don't mind me asking, but what sort of venues do you sell your cards. Do you ask shops etc as well. Also do artcard2 scan your images from your upload on the computer or do you have to send them your work?
Hope you don't mind me asking you questions it does make life easier.
By the way, I lived in Bitterne, not far from Bitterne park in fact, thats quite a coincidence. I've lived in Wales for 22 years and love it here.
Carol
painterlee
Forum Newbie

by Bec » Thu May 31, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi

I'm happy to answer your questions :-), although I'm conscious that there are probably much more experienced artists who could provide better advice!

I've so far only sold my cards through work, friends and family (some via facebook), and a friend has also offered to sell some on her stall at a craft fair.

With regard to Art2Card, I email them with photographs of my pictures attached (it has to meet a minimum size, so you would need someone with a good camera to take the photo). Then they send out a proof before you order. The only slightly strange thing is that they never actually respond to an email or acknowledge receipt, you just get the cards in the post a while later. And you don't have to pay anything until you receive your final oder, which comes with an invoice (very trusting, but must work for them). I've always been happy with what they produce though. I think if you went to their shop in Weymouth they would scan the pictures for you. Local art galleries and shops also often have picture scanning services.

I was a Bitterne Park school pupil by the way, so I know the area well!

Bec
Bec
Forum Newbie