Idea for selling my work - please help!

Exchange questions and advice with other artists

PostIdea for selling my work - please help!

by ClareGalvin » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi folks,

I'm really trying to generate a few commissions lately - I'm finding it hard. I've started using Twitter, have built a Facebook page to promote my work, and although I have had a bit of interest it is all from friends of friends who expect something for free!

So my question is, has anyone tried posting leaflets through peoples doors, or to shops/local businesses? I'm thinking this might be a way of getting my work seen...I'm really keen to gain some work with portrait commissions and drawings of children. I get a lot of leaflets advertising window cleaning etc but never see leaflets promoting people's art work.

If anyone has any opinions on this I'd love to hear them!

Thanks,

Clare
ClareGalvin
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Idea for selling my work - please help!

by Heather » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:48 am

You're on the right track. I don't know about where you live, but where I live the leaflet thing is illegal. There are people that do the leaflets here, but they are usually promoting their business in the parking lots where there business is located. For art, I wouldn't recommend doing leaflets. I go to the markets where I rent a booth and have my artwork for sale and I also had out business cards. Sometimes the markets will get you some sales and sometimes they wont. The benefit from the markets is you are getting exposure and letting people know you are out there. I also have a window decal on my truck to advertise my business when I'm driving. That's a good idea if you travel a lot. It will take time. You have to figure out who your artwork appeals to. I don't know how fast you can do your drawings, but if you can do it fast you might be able to a tourist attraction type of thing. Artwork that sells the fastest out here are charicatures and spray paint art. I do spray paint art, but I don't do the tourist thing. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, but it will take time figuring out what works and what doesn't. Good luck to you.

Heather
http://www.vividartstudios.com
Heather
Forum Newbie

by helennock » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:18 am

Hi Clare,
With Heather's tip re markets and car sticker. My blacksmith associate gained loads of work through advertising on the sides of his van. I've tried markets and fairs in the beginning. Didn't bring much on the spot selling but great outreach. Might be worth investing in postcard size business cards as they are not so easy to miss in pockets, bags and purses. You just have to keep plugging away live as well as online: updating website regularly, and other online presences. Might be worth Blogging too. Make sure to add your website url to every online post - like here for instance. Car boots might be worth a lash...put up a couple of display easels.
Some good tips here http://lorarios.hubpages.com/hub/Expose-and-PromoteYour-Artwork
Let us know how you get on.........

Helen
www.helen-nock.co.uk
helennock
Power User

by ClareGalvin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks so much for your replies - very helpful!

It's so tough getting exposure. I like the market idea a lot, I could promote at school fates perhaps...worth a shot. Thank you :)

And the business card idea is something I have been meaning to do, however I hadn't thought of postcard size...

Really appreciate both of you taking the time to reply to me.

Clare x
ClareGalvin
Forum Newbie

by admin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi Clare,

These two articles on marketing and generating traffic might offer some advice:
http://blog.artweb.com/art-web/art-and-money-2-generating-traffic-and-sales/
http://blog.artweb.com/art-web/art-and-money-part-4-marketing-and-networking/

Lovely portraits by the way - coincidentally it appears 'Study of Dan' is on the home page of artweb.com today!.

Chris Kirkland
admin
Site Admin

by waynetully » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:11 pm

When trying to sell your art online, it's best to stick with one way until it starts bringing in sales, other wise if you branch out in multiple places, then you end up spreading yourself too thinly on the net and not make any sales, this is me speaking from personal experience.

Once you have one way, is not best to capitalize more on that way for awhile before you start another income stream?.
Horror concept Artist https://uk.fiverr.com/waynezart
waynetully

by jacqlebreton » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi Clare
I wish there was a magic answer.
I haven't even had a Comment in over a year (except from family).
I also post images on FB and on Twitter. Think my work must be really rubbish or something.
Hope you get better luck

Jacq
jacqlebreton
Forum Newbie