Selling my Illustration for Company Vehicles

Exchange questions and advice with other artists

PostSelling my Illustration for Company Vehicles

by bluetulip33 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi all :)

I am a newbie after some much needed advice please.

I currently sell a few prints and a company has found on of my prints and asked if they could use it for their company vans. This is great news however I have no idea what to charge? How long for? If I need to draw up a contract, if so, where do I start? They said they would pay me to use the piece and promote my name as well. Also, I presumed that I automatically have copyright over my illustration, however if I'm selling it, do I need to pay for copyright elsewhere?

Sorry for all of the questions, it's just that I have no idea where to start.

Many hanks for your time

Kind regards

Kay
bluetulip33

PostRe: Selling my Illustration for Company Vehicles

by emilyholsman » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:00 am

It would pay to have something in writing that clarifies the extent to which your client is able to reproduce/exploit your image. I suggest that you make it clear that any alterations or modifications must be approved by you and set a time frame with an option to renew. Perhaps five years in each instance.

The exposure your work will gain may well pay off in the long run but consider the value it has to your client and perhaps gain an idea as to what cost they will incur in reproducing the image on their vehicles. It's hard to get a good idea as to what we are looking at but as a start I would consider replicating the production cost as your own fee (at least).

For example if the cost of dressing their vehicles with your image was $2,000 then you might charge as much again (for each term). By the way, I am in Australia and my keyboard doesn't have a pound sign.
emilyholsman
Forum Newbie